#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

The shot for goal that went at 90 degrees was comical. Think in the 2nd

1 Like

Snelling is already ahead of this guy. No more excuses.

Bullshit!

1 Like

Should be dropped. Just has nfi

2 Likes

Some of his work through traffic was good. He took his time to think things through but he kept moving before dishing off, which is an improvement on when he gets the ball and holds his ground and gets mauled.

There were times defensively where he didn’t react fast enough and obviously he fluffed some inside 50s as well.

Assuming Langers is to play predominantly forward, I’d pick Laverde over him, as we need the extra marking option

He’s not very quick, infact he’s about as slow as a midfielder can get and outside of ruckman and guys over 200cm tall which doesn’t help when he’s low on confidence.

He does get into great positions, above average mark for a midfielder and kicking is usually tidy without being amazing, handballing in traffic his strength which helps his pace issues, but I do wonder what the finished product is supposed to be. What player is he aiming to replicate? Is it a midfielder that can go forward or a forward flanker that can go midfield or is he a goal kicker? Right now he’s none of that, and looks lost on the football field. I don’t know what his role actually is, because he gets no midfield time and I never see him as a leading forward. I usually see him floating around the wings and maybe gets involved in a stoppage or on the end of a handball chain.

If I had the choice between him and LAV right now LAV wins everytime. LAV has a role and knows exactly what to do. I’m not sure Langford knows. I think the club has a lot to blame for his development and lack of confidence. Plays almost fulltime mid at VFL and then plays random floater on a flank at AFL level.

2 Likes

if Laverde is right then he comes in for Langford.

2 Likes

I’d drop him after tonight but this kind of talk is absolute bullshit.

2 Likes

had some key touches on an off night

1 Like

I think the reason we are playing so well at the moment is because of continuity for a lot of guys and a lot of our core guys having played so much of the year together so far.

For this reason I would be loathed to make changes to the team that aren’t forced.

I would be keeping Langford in as he is improving slowly but surely.

7 Likes

Since he was dropped but then not he seems to have lost a bit of confidence.

Shame.

Clearly in the outs for next week.

1 Like

Kyle just doesn’t have sufficient elite reaction time to play a dominant mid role. It’s genetics and can’t be improved through training. As indicated earlier in this thread he does have marking and kicking attributes that lean towards playing deep forward, or trying something down back. There is still time for him to dominate games so long as he and the club understand his limitations.

1 Like

He better pull his finger out or others will take his spot. Begley, Ridley, Lav are gunning for it.

kidding yourself if you think anyone should be dropped after that game.

Yep, at afl level his reading of the ball is to slow inside the contest. He actually has pretty good leg speed for his size. This allows him to make a few tackles. He often links up nicely with hands, and is a very good kick when in space.

It’s not from lack of trying or effort he is just not suited to an inside mid role.

Up fwd lav is ahead of him, he hits contests much harder. So I can’t see a spot for him there. Or anywhere else for that matter. Our other players are simply ahead of him.

He is a good fringe player, but I am starting to wonder if it would be better for club and player to trade him.

1 Like

Why would people come into Langford thread, after a great win, just to take pot shot at him. Such a great night, amazing win…so many positives to talk about, and people are falling over to have a crack at Langford.

It is like they look at the players stats after the game and see who is at the bottom end, who can I have a crack at. Fark off.

We have the mix right.

11 Likes

You are kidding yourself if Laverde, Fantasia and Clarke are all fit and you think none of them are selected next week

3 Likes

He actually was alright once they moved him up the ground in the second half and had some good moments inside. Moved onto Matt Crouch at some point in the last and was an important big body with the game on the line.

Obviously you want him contributing more though and I think lav had much more impact as a permanent forward

2 Likes

Looked lost up fwd

1 Like

Nah he wasn’t very good in the game. Don’t think he needs to be dropped but he has had a good run and isn’t really doing a lot. He almost is but just isn’t, that’s the issue.

1 Like