#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Maybe his gps numbers were poor cos he was sitting on the bench in the last?

I’m an unabashed Langford fan and I am part of the crew that thinks he could be a good midfielder but I’m not so stubborn to say that he is testing some patience.

But the thing that struck me last week for the first time was how he stuck the tackles so on that basis alone I thought it harsh to drop him.

I have nothing against Myers and obviously he is a nice guy, but he is emblematic of where we sit as a club. Unprepared to make the tough call … 8, 6, 8, 14, 9, 20, 18, 2, 0 and 6 so far - that’s the number of games he has played each year for us. I get that it is easy in hindsight to criticise but 90 odd games and in that time he’s got 2 votes in the Brownlow! And what, he was given a 3 year contract wasn’t he? If he was wearing a different coloured sash for example we’d be laughing at Richmond!

Successful clubs make difficult calls about moving players on - Stevie J, Kelly, Bartel, chapman, Lewis, Mitchell etc. hell, we even brought a couple of discards to our club!!

And the way we are handling Langford makes me worry that we will be going down the same path we have been down seemingly forever with our list management . He’ll show some good signs, and bad signs as he doesn’t get enough continuity in senior footy, and there’ll be enough signs or cameos to give him another contract and next thing you know he’s been here 8 years and played 100 games and we’ve repeated the same mistakes.

God I hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure I am. Saturday morning rant over!!

I think our club can work out GPS technology a bit better these days.
Though I miss the time when a bloke could just tie his GPS to the dog and go “Jeez coach, look how many K’s I’ve put in”

Does anyone know what position he played in his junior football ?

Doesn’t matter

IN : Langford

This talks about him almost exclusively as a half forward. Someone who saw him play TAC Cup can probably give more insight.

1 Like

Played CHF in TAC CUP and dominated from memory

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere that he played across the half back flank through at the u17 state championship. He was second through the competition in uncontested possession.
Sourced from the AFL Prospectus.

Played back, forward and wing in his draft year I’m pretty sure.

I’m a big fan of Langford and believe him and Myers should play in the same part of the ground next year.

1 Like

Pretty much exactly where hes playing for us.
As a young (bottom draft age) developing talent that was tried back, forward, (and only rarely in the midfield) despite Jackets claiming he was a future mid when drafted.
In short all over the place without ever figuring out his best spot.

1 Like

Really needs a breakout year in 2018, otherwise … meh.

In - Langford.

Saw him walking his dog yesterday. It looked laconic.

That’s because it’s a Laconic/Listless cross.

1 Like

Just on this, … does Blitz actually know what the word Laconic means??

Lazy, lethargic, listless, disinterested etc it does not.

I’m sure we went over this when it was used for Judas …

Laconic
adjective

using few words; expressing much in few words; concise:

So the dog was laconic

15 Likes

Didn’t say a word apparently, …

“bark”

hmmm concise

I thought it was a chicken.
Well there you go.

1 Like

Well played sir!