#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Lot of track stars aren’t worth 2 bob

The coaches gave irish a block of games in 2017 At first he was a bit of a turnover king, but the coaches backed him in week after week.
In 2018 they will back Langford in. As long as he improves each game , even just incrementally, he will play the following week.
Imo the coaches are heavily invested in langford as the replacement for jobe.

1 Like

I hope he ends up as laconic on the field as Fletch was

3 Likes

YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

15 Likes

A laconic player lets his football do the talking.

1 Like

Will add that Crosswell was different in that he played footy to fund his university studies - So footy wasn’t always a priority - Crosswell is a ‘wordsmith’ of the highest order and it’s a joy to ever hear him talk.

Langford needs more itensity to make second and third efforts and to get to more contests - This can be a difficult issue for players to overcome, so I look with interest to 2018.

2 Likes

[quote=“yaco55, post:3721, topic:2084, full:true”]
Will add that Crosswell was different in that he played footy to fund his university studies - So footy wasn’t always a priority - Crosswell is a ‘wordsmith’ of the highest order and it’s a joy to ever hear him talk.

Langford needs more inensity to make second and third efforts and to get to more contests - This can be a difficult issue for players to overcome, so I look with interest to 2018.

Are you basing this on his VFL or AFL games last year?, or just joining the view that he does not look ‘intense’ ?

There’s no need to get demonstrative.

8 Likes

[quote=“acorn, post:3722, topic:2084, full:true”]

I am basing my opinion on what my eyes show me - Basing it on both AFL and VFL, and was lucky enough to see a few live games in 2017 in both the VFL and AFL - It’s an opinion, I first posted back in 2016.

Langford was having some double digit tackle numbers in reserves IIRC throughout the year.

Might not be running around with white line fever in his facial expressions but still prepared to get his hands dirty.

I think people need to get over the idea he will be this aggressive inside brute and be more Pendles like as an inside player.

Stringer will be the enforcer

7 Likes

The Pendles comparison is apt.
But Begley (& Francis) will be the enforcers.
Oh, and Conor once he figures out how to be subtler about it.

1 Like

Langers averaged 7 a game at VFL level with a best of about 15.

Only Howlett averaged more with 8.

8 Likes

Works on at least two levels

He’s got beautifully sure hands and a beautiful kicking style. He played some great games in 2016 — the second game against Carlton in particular, the one we one — but something went wrong this year and he went backwards.

Hopefully 2018 will see a big leap forward because if he plays to potential he’ll be a champ.

1 Like

I don’t think he went backwards in terms of his own personal form, but he did get pushed down the pecking order with all the senior players returning.

6 Likes

Looks lackadaisical… keep.

Please

Footywire has him at 191cm.
Is that accurate?

I checked Footywire and yes, they have him at 191cm.

56 Likes

I’m 188 and he’s taller than me.

I would say that’s pretty close to the mark.