#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I suppose he would be competing with James Stewart if he was to be considered for a forward role. Has anyone thought about James Stewart as a tall midfielder instead? Yes I know it sounds preposterous but Stewart has great mobility, is very good around the ground and competes very well but he’s not a great mark.

On the other hand The Langford is a great contested mark, naturally good forward but seems to lack midfield awareness.

Please don’t crucify me, it’s Saturday night, I’m drinking beer and I’m definitely not watching “footy”.

4 Likes

He’s not a inside, contested midfielder. Never will be

We’re trying to turn him into one because that’s what we desperately need. I often wonder how good of lead up half forward he’d be by now if we’d spent 3 years of development in THAT role. Because any time he looks really good, it’s leading, marking and his accuracy for goal is good

18 Likes

I’ve said for a long time he could be the next fyfe. I stand by it.

I don’t really see the similarities between a 4th year fringe player and a Brownlow medallist

9 Likes

Potential mid qualities ( this is not to say he’ll definitely be one, but what coaches & teammates might be seeing)

Clean hands, even in traffic
Stays balanced, even under physical pressure
Looks for good team options ( and usually chooses them even if he takes too long at times)
Relatively two sided
Very good endurance base, and top speed not too shabby.
Good overhead ( and in a team of midget mids this matters)
Seems to read the game well.

I could balance this with what I and others have noted as his weaknesses, but sticking to the question that’s my best guess.
Time will tell.

4 Likes

All things considered if he can add the midfield string to his bow he will be a very well rounded player. It’s a big if at the moment, but just imagine having a player his size being able to compete in the middle and up forward. Might be able to rotate with Stringer. That would be a real weapon. We’ve been crying out for mids that kick goals.

4 Likes

I reckon more than anything we’ve been crying out for mids who run defensively.
That’s probably not the most important thing that Langford needs to work on at the moment but it is for the team as a whole imo

square peg meet round hole. for the 30th time in essendon drafting for the last 10 years.

3 Likes

“Midfielder” isn’t a bullet point on a player’s list of abilities, it’s a position one should show multiple quality attributes to play.

Kyle’s just gotta get faster, with better decision making and execution, play small for his height, overcome all odds and he’ll make it as a midfielder.

Easy.

5 Likes

Still.

1 Like

Quote yourself a few more times and you’ll be the new yaco.

1 Like

Seemed like an obvious leading forward when drafted, but jury is out for me on him and his position.

This year is going to be so f@cking frustrating, nerve rackingly exciting and beer guzzling celebratory - I’m frigg’n pumped more than @Meat at a B and S with 1976 Holden Kingswood HX ute, with two slabs of burbourn, a couple of Sheila’s and a two man tent.

3 Likes

I like this but let me raise you one… J Stew in the RUCK, The Langford in at 3rd tall forward! I’ve solved it!

That’s been a topic of discussion but the problem so far is that J Stew is easily pushed off in ruck contests. I agree it’s a good idea but Stew has a way to go before he could be effective in a role like that.

By seasons end the question of can Langford midfield will be answered.

Can still go either way for me.

6 Likes

I never quote myself.

1 Like

Good call by you.

7 Likes

What about Stewart in the midfield?

As much as i absolute detest this rubbish aflx concept, lang did some nice things and probably looks like he has improved some aspects over the off season

1 Like

see post 3982