#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Thats because he’s a mid :grinning:

Game was at MCG and played mid 9 tackles champ

1 Like

Tell Caroline that Blitz says: “Hi!”

5 Likes

I really want this guy to sign up for another couple of years.

So…between now and the end of the year, I wouldn’t even mind if Parish and Langford are treated as being in competition for the same midfield position…and that we err in favour of Langford, provided the difference in form is not ridiculous.

Anyway, I think Parish has benefited from that same kind of stickiness, and received more games early this season than form warranted. Parish may have gotten 30+ in the VFL, but so did Langers, didn’t he?

And frankly, I believe that our quota of midfield midgets is pretty full, even without Parish…it’s why I am not yet convinced that McGrath-as-mid is a sensible goal for our list.

Anyway, in conclusion, just gotta get that Langford signature.

2 Likes

Yeah.

Doesn’t mean I don’t need some more consistent performances before I go lid off on Langers

That’s what surprised me was in and under and doing all the hard stuff that’s what I want to see from him does that and he stays in the team.

1 Like

What i liked about langford the most on Saturday was his attack on the footy.
At the end of the day, this guy is a big lad, almost KPF height.
If he can attack the ball hard he will be a wrecking ball
(which he showed a few times on Saturday)

The thing that excites me about kyle is that he is busting his gut to become a quality inside mid.

What we haven’t seen a heap of at senior level is his aerial marking ability - he did this superbly at underage level especially forward and I’m hoping once he gains confidence he will really start to launch at the footy.

Just play the kid ffs.

23 Likes

6 clearances, 8 tackles against Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield, not much else needs to be said. I admire Myers and think he’s a great clubman but Langford has him beaten with this weeks efforts. Compared to Myers stats from the blues game. He doubled Myers clearances, similar marks taken and but Myers gave away 5 free kicks to Langford’s one. He is the big bodied mid we have been crying out for. Not only that I loved watching him nail tight passes to the corridor and applying pressure.

Should not be dropped

14 Likes

Jobe wasn’t the guy doing sprinting run down tackles, but he tackled with intent. He led from the front in that respect in many of our better performances during his time as captain.

1 Like

YOU MONSTER.
Post reported to the RSPCA.

1 Like

Langford happy at Dons, but contract not on mind
By Daniel Cherny22 May 2018 — 4:50pm

Essendon youngster Kyle Langford insists he is happy at the Bombers and that his focus remains on improving as a player, not on his contract.
Langford, 21, a first-round draft pick in 2014, is due to be out of contract at season’s end, and has struggled to establish himself in the Dons’ senior side.
The tall midfielder, who has taken over the No. 4 jumper of former skipper Jobe Watson, played just six AFL games last season and was dropped this year after the second-round loss to Fremantle.

With the Dons reeling following four straight losses, he returned for Saturday’s game against Geelong and performed solidly with 16 disposals, six clearances and eight tackles.
Langford and fellow 2014 first-round selection Jayden Laverde both signed two-year contract extensions in 2016 that expire this year.

Langford said he was enjoying his time at Tullamarine.
“I’m happy at Essendon,” he told The Age.
“I’m not focused on [the contract] at all. I’m focused week to week on playing AFL and getting better.”
Having spent an extended period in the VFL, Langford said the message from coaches when he went back to the lower level was to work hard.
“We back in our players. We also have a really good, strong VFL side. As soon as injuries come in, players need to step up, and we saw that.
“As soon as a spot comes up, someone’s ready to come in.
“I’ve gone back to the VFL just to really play my role. That’s what ‘Woosha’ [coach John Worsfold] wants from me.”

Criticised for its perceived shallowness earlier this year, the Dons’ midfield outgunned Geelong’s big-name brigade, which Langford said was proof of Essendon’s capabilities.
“We’re not the best midfield out there, but when we come together and each one of us play our role, like we saw, we can take it up to the best midfields in the league,” he said.
“We just jelled. We trusted each other. It’s something really, really strong when you can go out there and look at a player and trust that they’ll go out there, play their role, and win a one-on-one.
“It’s the hard work. It’s not just going to click overnight. It’s going to take a couple of weeks. It might result in wins, it might result in losses, but as long as we’re playing our role, we’ll be better off in the long-run.”

But like Worsfold, Langford was not getting carried away, with the Dons still languishing with a 3-6 win-loss record ahead of Saturday night’s meeting with Greater Western Sydney.
“We’re extremely happy and excited for the win, but we also understand it’s only one win,” he said.
“We are in a bit of a pit, we’re working our way through it but come Monday we’re still working hard for next week against GWS. There’s a lot of work to go, but we’re very happy with the win.
“Yes, we had our challenges throughout the month. But we’re coming in each day to get better. That’s all we can really do, focus on what we can control.”

23 Likes

contract not on mind?

100% going.

5 Likes

People have this notion young players are plotting to leave just from being in the VFL ‘naughty corner’… and ‘rotting away’

It’s not really the case

Great attitude from the Lang knowing that this midfield caper is all one big new learning experience for him. And comments about the team all gelling terrific.

2 Likes

I go where Langford goes

3 Likes

As do my newly adopted Orangutang and I @Killer_Mike

2 Likes

LANG 5 TIME MVP

Hard to say where exactly we’d get that impression

Point being, I’m sure plenty of players are happy to do their apprenticeship in the twos and have no interest in leaving their clubs, but there are also plenty who will jump at the opportunity for a spot in the 22 at another club.

4 Likes

Lang also went at 68% disposal efficiency compared to myers 40% and 8 clangers.

2 Likes

Of course. There are those that aren’t getting any opportunity at all that do so yes

I don’t know all those players but I think most hadn’t seen senior footy at all and weren’t even getting nominated as emergencies etc. Those 3 teams top sides with very established senior players.

And also a return to home state a factor

I think we have good buy in from our younger players about the future, having a core block of 20-25yr olds all coming through together.

Mind you we had Morgan up and leave also, which hasn’t worked out for him either. No games for North. He probably didn’t feel there was ever going to be opportunity but he’d actually probably have been played this year.

Back to Lang. Was a good game for him fighting hard for footy, contesting well, and also some beautiful kicks.