#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Yep, Parish did get dropped prior to getting injured. You can absolutely make the argument now.

Not completely sure why one would bother, but it can be reasonably made.

1 Like

Both Lav and Lang have suffered the expectations that came with the reported Dodoro move at the draft table to get them both, and the fact that we collectively wanted to see the club “win” the draft despite the saga sanctions and loss of Ryder. I think this added a multiplier of hope onto the expectations for the players they could be. Instead of being the late first rounders that they are, they had this added burden of scrutiny placed on their every move. In some ways it was similar for Kavanagh being the midfield “steal” that we desperately needed.

I think we should just enjoy seeing a couple of really competent players develop into senior footballers. Scrutiny should be directed to the 26plus year olds.

5 Likes

I’m beginning to come around on THE. I still have concerns about ability to read taps and about his hands picking the ball off the deck but he’s great overhead, moves well and makes good decisions.

Great to hear he’s putting in the extra work.

I still don’t think he has a superstar ceiling, still doesn’t seem to have any real standout weapons, but looks like he could be a really reliable contributor for a long time.

Hard to think of a comparison, the Fyfe one isn’t really there because he doesn’t seem to have that manic competitiveness and aggressiveness at the contest. Blumfield / Caracella maybe? Although he’s a lot more inside than both those players. Hard to put him in a box

Then don’t try. With his evasive skills, he will only slip out anyway.

1 Like

Right footed Pendlebury.

2 Likes

Hmm from Pendlebury’s first game time seemed to stand still when he got the ball, similar to Hird. Haven’t seen that from Langford.

1 Like

Funnily enough, that has always been one of his most obvious strengths.

10 Likes

Simon Black but better.

I have, definitely, from very early on too. his problem has been that our structures have been so ■■■■ that even though he could buy himself a bit of time he often still had no one to kick to anyway and he has always been reluctant to just dump the ball up the ground if it isn’t clearly to advantage.

Yes he got caught with the ball a bit early days but that was often after he’d already evaded one and stepped back into a pocket waiting for a damaging option.

He drops his shoulder beautifully on the dummy and has a surprisingly good step on him.

He is just going to get better and better with more opportunity and team mates up the ground who read him well.

7 Likes

Not saying it’s not there, but it’s certainly not at Pendlebury’s level. Pendlebury’s mix of balance, awareness (and to a certain extent the time you buy by being left handed/footed) stood out immediately.

Don’t think any neutral commentators have noticed it with Langford.

Fyfe/Pendlebury/Black comparisons are premature and very optimistic. All three will be in their all time club teams by the end of their careers

2 Likes

Its probably my fault for his poorer second half, I was just excited that he had 15 in the first half and was on track for 30 disposals.

But yeh that goal in the last quarter was classy.
If the end product is a good midfielder who racks it up and can rest forward and slot goals, then thats a pretty good package…to go along side the package.

1 Like

What’s his name (?) in the Herald Sun said Langford is beginning to repay the Club’s faith. I hope he’s right and that Langford does continue to improve and really repay our faith.

1 Like

He’s nothing like Fyfe or Black imo. Certainly has some similarities to Pendlebury.

If you’re looking for what weapons he was, surely you’ve noticed his kicking? He’d be one of the top few kicks at the club.

I tell ya what, this guy has definitely overtaken his brother Will at Hawthorn while representing GB and working in a chip shop. That ain’t laconic in my book.

1 Like

Again I think he is a good kick and I think he makes good decisions - there was a nice moment in the West Coast game where he surveyed the situation and put it lace out to a forward in the opposite pocket in congestion.

I don’t think it’s a ‘weapon’ like Goddard’s kicking has been. I’m looking for something that stands out.

You are being too obvious Langers.

2 Likes

What?

His hands whether below the knees or overhead are a strength.

2 Likes

Needs to stop waiting for the right option and just sign his ■■■■■■ contract.

please.

12 Likes

Yeah, couldn’t see him make it without them.

2 Likes