#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Imagine how he feels then.

3 Likes

Langford (the goal kicking mid) and his matrix moves says heaps about his potential. Just love how opposition players wiz past, then he either gives off a super creative handball or bullet foot pass to a leading forward. So much to like. Oh yeah, the bloke ain’t going nowhere. His star is rising and he’ll be paid accordingly, when he’s ready to sign.

2 Likes

lololololololololol

Personally I agree with him

Both would need to build a bigger tank over the off season, but it’s certainly not the silliest idea I’ve heard.

Petracca has huge potentional but I feel hes overrated atm purely because everyone pumps his tyres and he hasnt hit that level yet. He comes close to breaking out games but then goes missing fairly easily. Not saying he wont make it but right now that’s how hes seen. That’s also coming from a few melbourne supporters I know

1 Like

Pick 2 aside he’s already had a few BOG performances which is why he is rated so highly.

Inconsistency expected to a degree especially as first year playing a more midfield role this year also.

He’s almost a year older than Langford.
They’re going to end up playing similar roles.

I wouldn’t swap them now. I’d rather keep Langford.

1 Like

Langford is one of our very few who is able to stand up in a tackle, get an arm free and dish off a good handpass. So important as the opposition usually have more numbers committed to the contest and we can break away on the spread.

3 Likes

This.

In fact, he looks like the kind of player that we never, ever get a HTB against.

3 Likes

Taught to him by his mentor jobe no doubt.

That doesn’t matter when he spent his first year with an acl.

1 Like

Mutch and Clarke are both lacking any discernible weapons both in their physical traits and their skill set, whilst both are good ball winners and will provide good depth, I don’t see them as becoming starting members of our team. Their lack of positional versatility will see them relegated to backup players for our regular starting midfielders, like Heppell, Parish, Langford etc.

Then every year we will draft kids and bring in players from other clubs, which will in all likelihood go past them in the pecking order; Mitch Wallis, if he does end up coming to us, will go straight past the both of them as will our 1st and probably 2nd round picks this year (if they are midfielders).

Begley and Laverde, on the other hand, have genuine weapons both physically and skills-wise and can be developed to play similar roles through the midfield whilst also being pretty dangerous in the forward line. This versatility means they are more likely to get games in the seniors in the short term and more potential to become high-quality midfielders in their own right.

3 Likes

But Langford didn’t start his Career with a Knee reco and whatever else he did with that Basketball accident he had.

Not a fair comparision and Petracca would be ahead in 90% of non Essendon/Melbourne supporters opinions imo anyway.

1 Like

That’s a fair point about the ACL. I’d forgotten that.
I’m not surprised most neutral supporters would have Petracca ahead.
Just saying i’m not convinced it will stay that way. Langford has shown a lot in the past 2 months and i’m confident he’s only just scratching the surface

I think they have both shown a lot and you may be right but it’s very difficult to predict how good a young player will end up.

They are very different players and both are progressing very well imo.

I think with the current form I’d have Langford slightly ahead of Petracca, but I wouldn’t have said that a month ago. Opposition fans usually take half a season to cotton on to young players coming good.

Looks to finally have foind his feet at AFL level.
IMO last night was his best ever game for Essendon

I don’t particularly rate Clarke either.
Mutch i think will be something but I’m not sure what. Definitely rate Begley and Lav higher than both.

2 Likes

It’s a pretty close call by the stats sheet (with the usual proviso on what stats mean)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=4049&pid2=4041&fid1=S&fid2=S

1 Like