#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

The writing for the Bobcat has been on the wall for most of this past season. As others have already noted, he was a passionate and loyal servant of the club, but has been found wanting this season by the faster pace of the game. Not flashy, tough as all hell, but always put the team first, and played his role.

Well done Mr. Howlett, you leave with our thanks and much respect. Cheers for the future.

3 Likes

I have great respect for Bobcat.

Got the best from himself and a great team player. All the very best for the future Ben.

3 Likes

So that leaves 6 of the 2012 players still in the Red and Black (Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Myers, Colyer and T Bell). Two at Melbourne, one at the Saints and one at Port. Assuming Crameri gets his contract renewed or picked up as a DFA that is 11 left.

That obviously doesn’t include Zacka who was not banned.

Good unit. Looks a lot like Eddard Stark.

He never made it past “good, handy fringe” status.

It makes me sad that he didn’t cement a spot, but it makes me happy that this is the type of guy we can confidently cut now.

1 Like

Hope WC pick him up as a DFA if only for a year or two as they look to bring through bunch of kids

2 Likes

It’s like our whole 2012 midfield has left

3 Likes

It is crystal clear the direction in which Worsfold wants to take the club. He wants quick, nippy players, hence J. Merrett surviving.

Makes no fkg sense retaining J Merrett if he never plays. Has played 11 games in 2 years, 54 in 6 seasons (averaging 9 games a year) & one of those years half our players were suspended. Unfortunately J Merrett is dead wood & despite his unfortunate late break must also be cut loose.

Sad to see Howlett go though, always gave 100%. Probably a good sign for the strength of our list if players such as Howlett & Bird are deemed surplus to requirements.

6 Likes

Pretty Much

R: Ryder Stanton Hocking
C: Howlett Watson© Dyson

Rotation: Winderlich, Lonergan, Melksham, Jetta

Well done Bobcat on a hard fought career.

I think it’s the right cal.

Nice work benny.

Thank you Benny.

True clubman, all heart, gave his all and extracted every last ounce of ability he had. Thanks champion

10 Likes

Gave his all everytime he played. One of the best tacklers in the team. Was a midfielder, yet the coaches kept on playing him up forward where it just didn’t suit him

The right call by the club in the end. All the best Benny. Would love to see him stay around playing in the VFL for us

Gave it his best

Good luck Benny and thanks.
Sorry we stuffed you around.
I hate it when highly regarded and respected players get delisted.
I wonder how I’ll feel when Stringer gets the chop!

Thanks BobCat really appreciate what you brought to the club.

I paid tribute to Heater with the 2011 round 15 win against the previously undefeated Geelong. Heater was only half of the story of that match. Watson out injured, wheels fallen off on our season, but where Heater played in the guts and got 25 possessions, so did Benny and got 27 possessions, including 13 contested, 9 tackles and a goal. Chris Scott admitted he had been surprised by the intensity with which we played, and Benny was a big part of that story as was Heater.

We will miss you guys.

17 Likes

All the best BOBCAT

Echo all the sentiments on here. Hard at it, eye for a goal, unquestionable commitment. I personally would have kept him, because we don’t have anyone else really like him - that bullockibg type with mongrel. His last game was v Carlton and while he didn’t get a heap of it, he kicked probably THE goal that turned it around for us to win a game we didn’t deserve to win. That got us into the 8! Thanks benny!

5 Likes

Well done Ben. An admirable career at AFL level. I was 50/50 on delisting; could see benefit in keeping on the list. Surprised J Merrett survived.