#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

I think if you can make it to 100 games you have had an excellent AFL career. Well done on an excellent career Ben!
The right decision made though.

Yep J Merrett also must go now. If there was one spot for JM or BH I would much rather Benny.

For now.

All the best Bobcat.

I wouldn’t actually (sorry @paddyl90) but the more appropriate and damning comparison is now Merrett versus Smith.

Good luck for him in all his future endeavours. You could question his place in the team, but never his commitment or his will to win.

I do still think it might have been better for both parties to part ways in 2014 though.

Cough, Zaharakis and Myers, cough.

I don’t think he’s missed more than 3 seniors game in a year between his first year and this year: pretty sure he went 2-3 years there without playing VFL at all.
I liked Bobcat, but he’s the sort of guy who should have been fringe: and wasn’t.

Still, gave it absolutely everything every time he went out there and put that freaking boulder of a head over it unquestioningly.
Thanks, Bobcat.

5 Likes

Jerrett should be in the next round of delistings.

One of my favourites of the last 10 years. A sad day. Thanks for always giving it all you had Bobcat.

1 Like

Hawks were interested in him at the end of 2014.

Never know what the players of this era might have become.

Jerrett is Zack’s stable pony now.

1 Like

Always loved watching Benny play.

All the best, Bobcat, in whatever the future holds for you.

1 Like

Loved his attack on the ball and tackles.

All the best for the future Ben.

2 Likes

All the best Benny !

Wonder if the club would offer him a spot on the VFL team? Or would he make more money playing locally ?

Either way hope he has a bright future post footy

Good move by the club.
He was only going to be borderline selection again.
You’d rather spend time getting games into Lav and Langford now and also get some more youngsters in, to develop underneath the JD/Jerrett/Fantasia/Walla group.

Always underrated and always good value. All the best, Ben.

1 Like

I’ve always liked Benny and have thought he was underrated. Hard as a cats head and his skills were good too. Pace and a little height probably the two areas that hurt him now.
I wouldn’t have been unhappy to see him get another year, even if it meant only half a dozen games in the seniors when covering injuries. I think he is the type of player that is good to have around the club, and after everything the club put him through, I would have had no issue at all repaying some loyalty even if it were over and above what might ordinarily be the case.
Like Nick O’Brien, I’d be really happy if he ended up with our VFL team. Having said that, he would probably be a pretty good pick up for a club like Gold Coast or Brisbane to help coach the younger guys and provide a bit of coverage as they develop.

5 Likes

Deleted

Thanks for the memories Bobcat

1 Like

Jezza would have played a few at the end of the season if not for the busted fetlock, … and quite likely would have held a spot. Is on the improve and getting his handle on a role.

Will feature going fwd.

(I’ve said all this a few times already haven’t i>…?? :thinking: )

1 Like