#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

I thought the received compensation instead of them taking action to sue.

1 Like

He has been fined for that tackle that shouldn’t have even been a free kick.

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

Not even in the same ballpark but no doubt Colyer has been disappointing and getting worse. Colyer has double the meters gained, double the goal or goal assists, provides some pace, can kick over 40 meters etc.

you’re right. Trav does do alot more (but also more damage).

1 Like

fixed

Colyer has been poor but in terms of being a legitimate AFL footballer he is miles ahead. He wouldnt get a game in another AFL side, the fact that he has over 100 games speaks volumes of our midfield stocks since he was drafted in 2010. Has a crack but jeez… he is an ordinary AFL player.

Yes and no.
He was OK as an inside hard nut in his first 3-4 years. Good tackler and handy at competing for and halving or winning contested ground balls. About 2013 or 2014 he got shifted to being a forward because a defensive guy who’s slow, smallish, not good at reading a lead, not much of a goalkicker and not that good a kick just screams “forward”.
Obviously.

Even this year, he’s been IMO better in his few midfield opportunities than the rest where he’s played half forward or pocket.

I agree he was better mid than a forward, but his possession numbers where never anywhere near good inside midfielder numbers. He just couldn’t find enough ball inside or outside the contest, a pretty poor tank and his distribution has always been average. He was an ok supporting act, but he was never better than a C grade player.

1 Like

I reckon the club are trying to work out if he’ll get better next year with a year of footy under his belt.

If Hocking, Watson, Stanton and Bird all go, they might want him around for depth.

Checked Birds contract status the other day, after wondering if he was being held back this year for Jobe, and would be thought of as a replacement for him, but he is out of contract this year.

Still wonder if he might be re upped to do just that. he hasn’t done a lot wrong, and it might be thought that he would improve on that with permanent senior time…

Wrong thread, so thoughts, … here??

i find it hard justifying his stay even if (and assuming) all of Jobe, Stants, Hocking and Bird go. Would rather have kids as backup depth than Howlett - he aint the future. if we’re looking for depth to run through the midfield, better have someone who can actually run, and someone who can plug a hole down back or be effective up forward.

1 Like

I did some searches but it came up empty. I’m pretty sure though that he signed a 3 year deal with us although I may be suffering from amnesia. I reckon he’s signed for next year.
Regardless, I think there must be better options than Howlett in the VFL that could come in for depth.
I checked today and Howlett is averaging under 120 meters gained per game - it’s hideously bad. I’m serious in saying we’d be better off playing Smack as a midfielder.

Dunlops normally on top of it, so I’m assuming it’s current.

That’s all part of the process. You start legal proceedings, and then accept a settlement. You do that because it is quicker, quieter, and no chance of losing. But it is all part of being sued, even when they don’t go to court.

1 Like

I suspect Howlett or Bird will be fighting for the last spot on our list in 2018 - It will be a close call.

To be the best of my recollection, Howlett’s never been on anything larger than a 2 year deal. He certainly isn’t under contract for next season as his current contract is only for 1 year - he was one of a number of saga guys who came out of contract last season.

Thanks for the response. However I was asking about Bird?

My apologies. Officially when Bird came across he signed for 2 years.

Thanks. Is that on top of the last year he still had with the Sydney contract?

Think Howlett & Bird have both been a tad unlucky this year. Howlett though, is more diverse and provides better tackling pressure etc. He’s probably going to receive a 1-year deal.

With Watson / Kelly / Stanton / Hocking / Bird almost certain to go… You need to keep some experienced heads around. We were ■■■■■■ fortunate with injuries this year. Almost be inclined to throw Bird a lifeline too if we fail to sign / trade for a proper mid in the off-season.