#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

3 years on the Cat B list

I hope they switch him into defence, he has all the tools needed to become an athletic 200cm FB.

He can get in the queue behind Hartley Bezerk Thatcher Franga and Ridleyā€¦ or convince them all to play elsewhere on the field!

3 Likes

Plenty go through that to play for chump change in suburban footy.

2 Likes

Francis isnā€™t a VFL player no more

Ridley will be a wingman/sweeper

Z-T will be a cavalier CHB, though heā€™ll probably spend next year or two working in his rebounding to balance out his good defensive game.

Hartley and Ambrose are the ones whoā€™d be in direct competition if LL was to go back. Lavender, unlike Hartley, has the athleticism to go with the modern uber-mobile forwards and unlike Ambrose, he has the height to match the giants.

1 Like

Is he any good? Like, does anyone actually ever see him making it?

First thing he needs is a bit of luck on the injury front.

1 Like

More chance of a bloke who is 202 cm than 178 cm like me.

He can run fast, jumps high, kicks ok, needs to learn a bit more about footy, and get that big frame filled out.

Hasnā€™t shown much besides athleticism so far.

1 Like

But has done serious athleticism for someone his size.

Still a long shot, but remains a worthwhile project

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s your height holding you back at this stage, manā€¦

7 Likes

Itā€™s his wish for a Stalinist dictatorship, isnā€™t it? AFL should suit him then.

1 Like

Nah itā€™s his poor attitude post-games.

My height was never an issue. Lack of any real ability thoughā€¦

3 Likes

Nope I am a Leninist.

Only when we lose.

Foxyā€™s no Stalinist ! The only thing heā€™d get from Stalin would be an ice-pick in his head.

1 Like

Happy to talk about politics, but would rather talk about Luke Lav making it into the top tier.

Obviously he has a lot of work to do, but I reckon is up to him, and the help of the club.

1 Like

Yep, I reckon alot of things need to fall into place for tall, Category B rookies to make it.

Firstly, they need time. We wanted at least a 2 year deal for him which the Bombers kindly gave us.

Secondly, they need an uninterrupted run. Luke has had anything but. This preseason will be make or break. His body has struggled with the workload.

Thirdly, they need to settle quickly into a position to learn. For whatever reason, this hasnā€™t happened either. He has showed slightly more promise in defence, but in reality it has only been two games there after 9 unsuccessful games forward and pretty much zero ruck time.

Heā€™s on a short break (and still in a sling), but is super excited to get stuck in. Hopefully his body carries him through, he can settle in a position and he can make every post a winner in 2019!

62 Likes

Cheers @S_K

We wish you both every success.

14 Likes

Sounds like the mind is willing but the body is not. Hopefully he gets a chance to see what he can acheive.

Itā€™s one thing to be at your fittest and not be good enough to make it. Thatā€™ll be disappointing, but acceptable as thatā€™s just the way things are for some/many.

But itā€™s another thing to never get a proper opportunity to be at your physical best - Gumby being an obvious example.

2 Likes