#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

Agreed.

He’s a cat B rookie, so I’d hang on to him as long as that allows, then reassess from there.

And even if he doesn’t make it, fark me, he’s gotten to play for the EFC, which is something I’d give your left nut for!

The bloke wins either way. Just one is a bigger win than the other. Lucky ■■■■■■■!

8 Likes

Has there been any indication the club might settle him in defence ?

Sure Luke would be way back in the pecking order but that wouldn’t be a bad thing considering he is still learning

Best chance for any cat b to make it is in defence i reckon.

Saw him play in defence once this year and looked a different player

Would love him to settle in defence and take on the big gorilla forwards.

We only have Hooker on our list who can take them on.

Hartley has the height but neither the physicality nor the smarts. Lavender looks like he can bruise a few.

Problem for Lavender is going to be building the upper body strength, history of shoulder (and back?) injuries may limit his ability to add size/strength to compete with the gorillas.

He certainly has the physicality and athleticism to match modern KPFs.

Not sure. I guess it depends a bit on who is drafted/delisted etc. I do know Luke is waaaay down the pecking order at the moment for all positions.

I’d personally just love to see him get a short crack in the ruck.

1 Like

That’s what he needs in my opinion. He’s big enough and he’s certainly athletic enough. The trouble with that is that Draper is also just learning his trade after coming from a soccer background, and his biggest weakness at present is his positioning around the ground, and knowing where to go and when to do it. I doubt we can play two rucks who are both in the same boat in that regard.

Luke probably should really play a season at a lower level as a ruck, and then return to our magoos, at which time you would hope Draper has progressed the deficient parts of his game to a point we can afford to carry another developing ruck. Trouble is, I don’t think the rules allow that.

2 Likes

I think playing at the lower level is now within the rules, and is perhaps likely to be used with Luke next season.

4 Likes

I think that would give him his best chance.
Hope it eventuates for him.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest that might be an option but wasn’t sure it was allowed.

Who would we link him with? Strathmore?

Certainly seems the best way for him to get experience & confidence up.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight

He is quite a big lad (don’t really notice it until I saw him on tv) so definitely has the build for the sport

Hope it all goes well!

1 Like

I’m glad if it is possible, it is a real conundrum developing rucks.

Boot is right, it is just so hard to give Luke any ruck time with Draper, Smack and even Stewart needing to either develop or keep their hand in as a ruck given the senior side needs this backup. There probably will be another ruckman needed in the side, if Leuey retires. We only have Belly as a fully fledged ruck option, so one more full time ready to go ruck is probably needed, with Draper let alone Luke needing to develop, they will also need to play in another position most of the time.

I think Luke developing as a player/ruckman and getting confidence at a lower grade is a good option for 2019, with maybe revisiting the VFL later in the season, especially if injury means more ruck options are needed.

1 Like

Would he be permitted to play up north over summer? Would give him further game experience.

I Imagine he needs to get his body right after shoulder reconstruction.

Fair point

It certainly is. I think it may’ve even be available last season for clubs without a development league team. North had their B list signing Tom Jeffries play mostly for Avondale Heights during the season. I would expect this to be the norm for some internationals and B list signings going forward, as there have been plenty of even ND recruits over the years who weren’t ready for VFL football and learnt aspects of the game in the development leagues. Not every recruit is going to be best served throwing them in and hoping they’ll grasp things within a few games.

2 Likes

With Draper taking up ruck time, Francis moving to the ones, Heartly possibly going to GWS. Maybe a FB/CHB year is on the cards? We will need a Hooker replacement in 2-3 and he appears to be a big athletic lad?

He’d get slaughtered.
Nowhere near ready for a role like that.
Do you want to try and develop him, or kill any chance he has stone dead?

I don’t know if Lavender would ever be a defender. But playing in the backline is a valuable learning experience.

Sheedy tried almost all players in the backline. I remember early days Steve Alessio played a few games at full back.

In the backline, the ball is coming in your direction whether you like it or not. It forces players into the game.

I used to like Ryder in the backline because he was forced into the match. He had no choice but to get involved in the match.

Any player early in their career, I’m all for players learning abit of character in the backline.

9 Likes

As a CHB at the VFL, if he can’t at least follow a forward around with his athleticism, then gee he is a looong way back?