#40 Luke Lavender - NewLAV!

I thought about this too. Maybe they would have considered had his body held up?

You are a champion and so is Lavender - he has achieved way more than many of us here could dream of.

Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

I was always proud of the fact that ā€œone of usā€ had a son running around in the red and black. I canā€™t imagine how much fun that would have been for you @S_K, Iā€™m still dining off the fact that HumbertiƱo scored a nice goal for St Kilda Whites U14s, and that was two years ago! It was lovely to meet you @S_K - donā€™t be a stranger (even if you live in Adelaide) ā€¦ maybe drag @Aceman over for the next Blitz BBQ. Itā€™d be great to hear all about your experience.

6 Likes

I had the pleasure of meeting you and your lovely wife @S_K at last years Blitz BBQ. You were kind enough to chat with my then 7 year old (who is a budding distance runner and talented little cricketer), and you spoke to him about Luke and encouraged him to pursue his dreams just as Luke was doingā€¦ which left my boy insisting that he wanted to make sure he got Lukeā€™s autograph! We waited around till Luke came out and your Mrs witnessed Luke duly signing, which I think might have been a nice moment for her too, since she said ā€˜awwwwā€™ and tried to snap a quick photo!!

Anyway, congratulations to Luke for getting as far as making EFCā€™s list and all the best to him (and your whole family) for what the future holds. No doubt your boy will be a success in whatever he chooses to pursue, because along with talent he clearly carries plenty of determination, resilience, a willingness to work hard and a wonderfully supportive family (even if he isnā€™t allowed to move back home!).

24 Likes

Pity Luke never had the chance to blossom.

2 Likes

Thank you for these lovely words! When I think back about the last 2 years, I always find it difficult to put a finger on when I actually realised and believed that Luke was a Bomber! It might have been the blue tick added to his name in Instagram (kidding), the team photo in the Herald Sun, the members forum interview, him running out for the first time at Williamstown, I actually donā€™t know - and now itā€™s over too soon.

But I remember that autograph moment vividly - it was the only time we witnessed our son sign an autograph! His mother does have the photo, and I know it was the moment that she realised and believed her son was a Bomber!

All the best to you and your boy @Bomberjay07

And I donā€™t love him any less just because I donā€™t want to live with him anymore. The biggest issue is the 20-odd bottles of spirits he got for his 21st that were in his wardrobe. In his 16 months away, his mother and I have whittled them down to about 5, and I donā€™t particularly want to replace themā€¦ refusing him reentry to our home seems the simplest way to deal with this! :rofl:

47 Likes

Hope you stay on Blitz @S_K, love your wit and how you have shared your Son with us.

6 Likes

It raises the question. When should a club call curtains on a player thatā€™s constantly injured and for whatever reason is unable to show anything when presented the opportunity. I think any club would be derelict to give that Sydney player another run.

It really has been a pleasure to share this journey with your family @S_K. Huge thanks to you all for being so generous with precious moments and memories.

We saw Luke play a few games and it was really special having that connection.

This is no place for parents of a footy player who wish to retain their sanity. The club were right to warn you off.

Iā€™m so grateful you ignored them and equally grateful that blitz behaved accordingly.

Please donā€™t be a stranger ā€¦ would be great to hear from Luke too if he feels so inclined.

6 Likes

Had the pleasure of having a fair bit to do with Luke through my role with the VFL, Iā€™m sure you donā€™t need me to tell you @S_K but you should be very proud of him, terrific fella, very popular and always has a warm smile and greeting. Heā€™ll be missed around the club.

21 Likes

Dear Aussie Rules Football,

Thanks for smashing my body up into 100ā€™s of little bits and pieces.

ā€“ NewLav!

1 Like

He definitely showed glimpses of a good player.
Realistically when he was already coming from a distance behind most of his peers in terms of development he needed everything to fall just right.
Fingers crossed he gets a crack at a state league club, thereā€™s definitely a player in there.

Tell him thanks for his efforts and service!

2 Likes

We need to lobby the AFL to make a ā€˜Forum son/daughterā€™ rule. All our kids automatically tied to the Dons.

2 Likes