#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

I mentioned last year in a warm up before a game i was watching him closely and he had the most un clean concrete hands i’d seen on a league footballer in basic drills. That gets even more exposed in the wet and guys like tippa excel.
His kicking, toughness and pace is good but when the ball is a bit moist he gets exposed big time.

Keeps getting talked about as having “elite” disposal but I’ve just never seen it with this guy. 7 disposals, with 4 turnovers. And he’s what, 26 or something? Next.

3 Likes

was more exposed tonight than a nudist at a Burqa convention.

13 Likes

7 disposals, 4 clangers, 3 frees against. Putrid.

3 Likes

Keep?

Im 45yo and struggle to see how hes getting a game before me.

5 Likes

I felt sorry for him tonight. Tries but just not up to it. Well done. You’ve played more games than i ever will, which admittedly is a very low bar.

Hurley on Twitter:

“Only a handful games into his career. Give him time. He will be a player.”

2 Likes

Very interesting for a player to come out with a tweet like that.
Hopefully it gives McNeice a bit of confidence because he needs something going for him.

2 Likes

It was a shocker.

That was such a terrible game. It was so bad I actually feel sorry for him. Give him one more game - you can’t finish an AFL career with that type of game.

5 Likes

After the first few glaring mistakes he lost all confidence, i don’t know if he can get it back because he has shown some absolute brilliant kicking in the past.

Dylan van Unen is applauding Ty Zantuck’s shot for goal.

3 Likes

Looks a bit lost in general play at times. Didn’t apply much pressure and this was against GC. Against top sides he will exposed and exploited on a grand scale. He seriously need an upgrade.

Joel Renoylds for sure

I did notice last night that Hurley went to him quite often with encouragement. Probably also thinking how does this guy get a game quietly in his head.

Interesting that Josh Thomas has 3 goals already today and it’s halfway through the 2nd quarter. Did Ben do a better defensive job than we thought last week?

1 Like

He was excellent in that regard, the problem isn’t his ability to shut down someone, it is what he does when he gets the ball that is of concern.

1 Like

I’m not sure he’s ever really shown that at senior level. Vfl certainly.

1 Like

That, and when there isn’t a sub-180cm opponent for him to go to. He shut down Thomas, but if someone was even medium height and a half-decent mark McNiece would struggle.

2 Likes