#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

He is one player i love taking the switch kick because he punches it low and flat every time. Gives no time for it to be cut off and minimal time for the opposition defenders to switch across to the other side of the ground. Should be instructed to do this more.

Watch him get towelled up by one of Rioli, Butler, Castagna etc this week. Will get windburn from them. Too slow for his size and poor in the air and rising 27. Had Gresham kicked straight would’ve had 3-4 goals, just as Walters got on him a few weeks ago & what Breust was doing to him last week. Should not be on the list next year IMO.

6 Likes

Got a very good kick on him.

Holds his own when the ball is in a 50/50 situation

On the slow side, so if he is matched up on anyone with speed- he struggles to contain them

50/50 on him getting a 1 year deal for next season. This week will be the big test. If he can hold his own against the Richmond forwards he should get another year

Your hatred for mcneice reminds me of karmabomber on Devon Smith in the trade season.

4 Likes

Don’t hate him. Just recognise that he’s not up to it & we should be moving on to someone who might. Would you say Guelfi is a better player with more upside? There’s gotta be stacks of Guelfi types out there yet we waste time on a McNeice type.

1 Like

He’s not slow and has played as much good footy compared to most other players in their 1st 10 AFL games. He’s got a lot of competition for a spot in the 2019 backline.

Yep. As much as McNeice, Dea and even Francis have shown a bit recently I’m afraid of what Richmond will do to them Friday.

Not sure why McNeice is being singled out here

Our entire backline, All Australian level players included will be made to look silly if dream time repeats

As will our fwds who were starved of opportunity last time

As much as I understand the viewpoint on McNiece, keep in mind how Bags turned out.

3 Likes

Not a big McNiece fan myself, but he’s not slow.

2 Likes

Baguley had pace and was the ultimate competitor. I don’t see either in McNeice unfortunately.

When blitzers go against the flow and believe players aren’t up to it, why are they so often tarred as hating the player? I understand it if they’re going thread to thread doing it. But when it is their own thread?

2 Likes

I don;t mind people bagging out players at all, i’m actually on the other side that thinks a lot of favorites are a protected species on here. It’s when players get bagged despite having a good game i start to think there might be a personal reason the poster dislikes/hates the guy.

1 Like

But sometimes that is opinion. I remember one game last year when I kind of came out as the “I don’t rate Gleeson as much as Blitz” guy. It was a game where a lot of people were praising Gleeson. I’d thought he’d had a shocker. This then got argued over, and I said flippantly that when I watched the replay I’d record what he did. So then I did. I did that to see if my impressions at the game were correct and why there was such a big disconnect between me and other Blitzers. Which, IMO, really came down to how you rated offensive versus defensive play. Gleeson had done some good attacks. He’d also lost a number of 1:1’s, although not always in dangerous positions.

When I wrote it up, I got a lot of people saying I must hate Gleeson because I was obviously obsessed since I’d gone to all that effort. In fairness, I didn’t realise how much effort it would be until I was doing it. But it is a good example of where Blitz and one poster had a widely different view of the game, and it not be “hate”.

To be fair on Mr Sunbury, McNiece was terrible early. To be fair on you, Mr Sunbury didn’t even mention the game but just slagged off McNiece’s future performances, which is hardly fair and pretty harsh given they haven’t happened yet.

1 Like

Bags a better mark and McNiece a better kick, but I’d say at the same time in their career, not too dissimilar.
Anyway - here’s hoping.

As a general comment…I get annoyed when any first team player cops a “delist immediately”, “load into the cannon” , or “please, never again”…meanwhile, there is no better option in the seconds!

And IMO…in the McNiece case, there isn’t enough difference between McNiece/Dea to warrant a passionate posting…and other options like Gleeson/Redman are currently injured.

Yeah mate I call it as I see it. He was ok against Collingwood, poor against Freo (Walters kicked 3), poor against Hawks (Breust got 2 before being moved to Whitecross who also led him to the ball & kicked a goal). On the weekend, Long and Gresham were way too slick for him, had it not been for poor conversion, they’d have had considerable impact.

His role seems to be a lockdown small defender and if that’s the case, he’s not up to it IMO and at 26 going on 27, he’s not likely to improve his deficiencies. I get that he’s probably the 40th player on the list and if Gleeson, Redman, Guelfi etc were all available he’s not in the side but my thoughts on him going forward are that from what I’ve seen (subjective I realise) the list management team need to make a call going forward and I just don’t see him having the ceiling to be a solid contributor going forward. There’s others on the list in the same boat too, it’s a fact of the business.

My view is that we should be looking to bring in a younger player who might be able to play the role going forward. If we carry him on the list another year or two, it’s time we waste in not developing a future player and the example I use is Guelfi, there must be more 19-22 year olds busting for an opportunity as he was this time last year.

The excuses that came up in the match thread were he was a category B rookie (cost us nothing) and Gresham, Breust, Walters & co will carve quite a few defenders. All that is true, but I find them totally irrelevant for the following reasons. It matters not where he was drafted, Dodoro was creative with his recruitment but he wasn’t just dropped into the country at 23 years of age and picking up the game such as some of the Irish lads on lists right now, he’s grown up with the game and has serious limitations. He’s in the team to play a role that I don’t see him doing effectively. Secondly, playing on the likes of Breust, Walters, Gresham etc IS what small lockdown defenders are there for, if you can’t handle them, what is the role? My opinion is that he can’t handle them because he can’t keep up with them in a speed sense, he’s not good overhead either. He’s not an interceptor (Hooker, Hurley, Goddard), he’s not a distributor (Goddard, Hurley & McKenna), he’s not a running rebounder (Saad & McKenna). He’s essentially taken the Baguley role because Baguley was struggling with the pace of those small forwards, his fierce competitive spirit means he’s an effective pressure forward despite his loss of speed.

It’s an Internet forum where there’s differences in opinion, that is mine, it’s not everyone else’s and that’s fine but to suggest I hate a player?

4 Likes

I received a very good lesson when I shared my thoughts on Parish.

The fanclub is very strong with him.

3 Likes

You’re crazy!! He will be the best inside midfielder ever!!

…At Geelong FC

1 Like

Does he stay?
Hes on the Tiwi trip with Hurls and Mason and looks in good,strong nick.

Does he have to go onto senior list now,if retained?