#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

“We have offered” is not the most authoritative statement of all time…

Of course, it doesn’t have to be decided by list lodgement #1.

We are so getting fined?

1 Like

I don’t recall him being put on the Cat A list.

I thought he was still Cat B and got upped to the Senior list after someone went down with an LTI?? :thinking:

He was Cat A.

If he wasn’t, then we chose to play 2018 with a man short on our list.

1 Like

That would presumably be because we need to delist him in order to put him on the Cat B list and he needs to go through the national draft unselected (as does Baguley) before we can make it official.

Its a good move. He remains on our list as a Rookie… Cat B just means he comes from a different background, but same rules apply regarding promoting to senior list as a normal rookie. These are the conditions of him playing:

1. At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.

2. If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

You do not run the risk of someone being picked up by another club if delisted and re-drafted, if the player agrees to whats happening. In McNiece’s case, he was always a Cat B rookie, so just look at this as a re-contract.

Is that still a thing is it?

I figured it must have been ditched.

2 Likes

I think you may be right. Apparently it was abolished in2017. Man I can’t keep up either lol

JD was an LTI pretty early on

We’re playing Geelong in the 2nd JLT game, so you can guarantee someone will be out for the season in the last minute of the game.

Gleeson and Fridge were early additions to the LTI last year too.

No mention of Jake Long in that email, I notice…either on delistings or re-signings.

1 Like

Laverde?

1 Like

I think he may be there on a needs basis since Baggers is a sml forward now. hoping we pick up a small defender in the draft

He was CatA

1 Like

I’m so confused about this rookie category stuff. It’s impenetrable. Anyway, happy to see him get another year.

Congrats Benny.

4 Likes

Well done Benny, congrats on another year. Keep up the hard work.

Bizarre. Guess the club sees something I don’t :).

2 Likes

Or Myers. Easy money.

1 Like

If you can put a guy who’s played multiple seasons of AFL football on the Cat B rookie list it seems like a no-brainer free hit to me.

7 Likes

And provides competent depth when called upon