#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

Alwyn Davey like hands and suspect disposal under pressure?

so now its a choice for the last B spot between Hanna, Irish 2 and Simmons

2 Likes

Has anyone reached out to Mr Sunbury to make sure he is ok?

5 Likes

This.

How is it even possible to get downgraded back to Cat B.

Just bizarre.

1 Like

Perhaps he never was put up to CatA despite AFL website saying otherwise

Can’t seem to find any club specific info on what occurred for him end of 2017

He was injured for a lot of 2017, there was really no great reason as to why he’d have been upgraded.

1 Like

Surely you wouldn’t be able to do 3 years cat b

1 Like

Can on Cat A I think. So def would Cat B given it’s for players from alternative pathways who generally would need longer to make the grade.

Edit…

From Wiki

I guess it’s a free hit to keep him on as a Cat B rookie in the off chance that he comes on in 2019. I don’t see it happening personally, but if you have 3 Cat B slots it makes sense to use them…

1 Like

Knowing the AFL, because they didn’t think to write a rule either allowing or denying it, and we were the first to ask the question.

3 Likes

So pretty much the club is saying you’re not so important for depth that we want you automatically around all the time, and we need to free your spot up for a Cat A rookie. This seems to me to be the thinnest of lines between staying an EFC player and delistment. I suspect if he wasn’t eligible for Cat B, he’d be gone.

Incorrect. Normal rookies can now be played at any time regardless of injuries. Cat B rookies can not.

And McNiece was moved to the Cat A list last year.

why even bother? surely if thats the case, you go to the rookie draft and find a kid thats potentially more capable.

Well under the old rookie elevation rules, which is effectively the current cat B elevation rules, we used to frickin love the re-rookie move. Hardly a surprise we’d continue to do the equivalent.

1 Like

The club obviously rate him but I personally don’t see it. Would be staggered if he played more than a couple of games and only if we have injuries galore

Not sure club is actually rating him that highly however

Needs an LTI to play so we obviously feel can cover him with others on primary/rookie list if situation calls for it

But as someone who is a known quantity to play a serviceable role it would be rarity for other clubs CatB’s

2 Likes

High in character and leadership

1 Like

I take the opposite out of this move. The club (IMO) is saying we don’t rate you, but it’s still nice to have you as an emergency option.

If they rated him they’d want him available for the entire season.

I agree with your assessment of him BTW.

Kobe on LTI - Benny CatB upgrade.

This bloke was awesome today! Well deserved ANZAC medalist.

7 Likes

Marked everything in the last quarter. Great game

2 Likes

Still reckon he can play. Hope he gets an opportunity