#41 Ben McNiece - has been future endeavoured

This is gold.

How ambiguous is this

“His mother was born in India”

We might be able to add Hep A soon because his brother has a Bintang T-Shirt

I’m just so glad we ended up with at least one ambiguous player as you’ve been pressing the case for them all year. It may not be one of the ambiguous boys you had hoped for but I reckon he’ll turn out alright.

Does anyone know where the ambiguous academy is. The directions weren’t clear.

Another Essington List Manoevre
What is "Essington" about it?
Does anyone know where the ambiguous academy is. I couldn't find it.

Right beside the amphibious one … then again, … it might not be … animated-whistling-smiley-image-0001

If those are the rules, surely we could have (perhaps, should have) Cat B'd Gach last year?

That being the case, if there was some handwringing over his delisting, (thoughts that he actually needed a LOT more time and development for instance, but still thought he had something), he could have been retained if we wanted to.

There would still be the cost question of course … not sure what Cat B wage is.

Do I remember reading somewhere that Cat B’s are AFL subsidised?

only special cases where you’re stealing someone high profile from another sport does the AFL subsidise them.

Apparently the AFL signed off on this on condition he plays in a red and black turban

I’m confused as to what the rules are and who can be category B.
Surely just having a parent born somewhere else isn’t enough to qualify. I read something about being from a non English speaking country qualifies you. Isn’t English spoken in India? Doesn’t it matter if McNiece’s mum speaks English, and maybe is English, but just resident in India? Does McNiece have to be born overseas? If so, McGrath and Canada?
What about Sam Draper, who lived for most of his life in England and played soccer until 8 mths ago? He doesn’t qualify but McNiece does?
Maybe you have to be born overseas, in a non English speaking country,
AFL making a huge balls up as usual, but at least this time we seem to be benefitting from their madness.

Edit: ok the situation re McGrath and Draper potentially being eligible is probably addressed by the fact that you nominate your cat B rookies after the drafts, and so, if any club wants to draft one of these guys, it automatically trumps the possibility of taking them Category B rookies.
Still unclear on who is eligible though.

Is his Mum Indian or did he just eat Indian!?

Played junior footy at 13’s and 15’s at Northcote Park with Ben’s Dad and Uncle - The Dad and uncle and older brother were very good players who graduated into the seniors and the family became stalwarts of the club - Ben comes from a traditional Aussie footy background - Unsure if McNeice fits the spirit of the rule but good luck to Ben - Ben will play senior footy - And he’s dad’s hair is even redder than in the under 13’s.

Another Essington List Manoevre
What is "Essington" about it?

You need to have seen my post in the rookie draft thread to truly appreciate that post

Watch us cop a fine for this, or something…

His father is from Mexico and his mother is from New Mexico

Do I remember reading somewhere that Cat B's are AFL subsidised?
only special cases where you're stealing someone high profile from another sport does the AFL subsidise them. the AFL are propping up their club
Fixed.

Only from Wiki but I fail to see how McNeice fits the criteria.

AFL article however said he qualified under “multi cultural academy rules”, yet he wasn’t one of our nominated MA rookie B listed players.

Serious swindle has gone on here

Category B rookie

Each club is permitted to recruit up to three “Category B” rookies. Category B rookies are recruited directly rather than drafted, and represent players from non-traditional recruiting backgrounds.

Players who may be recruited as Category B rookies include:[1]

International players, who are neither Australian citizens nor residents

Players from the New South Wales scholarship program

Players from the International scholarship program

Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT

Zone selections by Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast from Queensland

Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years

In the specific case of Irish international rookies, a club may have no more than one Irish Category B rookie at a time; but, the club is permitted to recruit other Irish players as Category A rookies, and may still recruit them directly without putting them up for draft.

LMAO

Ben probably firs this part of the rules:

As well as residing in a certain club’s region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa).

But this is the bit that is stumping everybody:

Clubs will need to send their nominations for potential category B recruits by August 15, with a full list to be circulated by the AFL by the end of August.

I suppose the AFL has tweeked this rule a little more and we are the winner for a change.

Well the thing is he’s hardly taking a spot that would have been given to a “real” category b type player, because we have 3 spots don’t we? so we left the other two empty suggesting if they didn’t pick him they were picking no one

Ambiguous excitement machine

Played junior footy at 13's and 15's at Northcote Park with Ben's Dad and Uncle - The Dad and uncle and older brother were very good players who graduated into the seniors and the family became stalwarts of the club - Ben comes from a traditional Aussie footy background - Unsure if McNeice fits the spirit of the rule but good luck to Ben - Ben will play senior footy - And he's dad's hair is even redder than in the under 13's.
Its only the matriarchal lineage, we're talkin' about here.