#42 Adam Saad

His daad

11 Likes

Agreed, there was a marking contest, I believe in the 4th quarter where Eddie flew above a pack for the mark and Saad basically just leapt and smashed into him to spoil it. Was awesome.

2 Likes

This. Commentators were having kittens over the leap by Betts, but Saad’s jump to spoil was at least as impressive

5 Likes

When we recruited him I was expecting him to be your usual outside run and dash type with attacking capabilities and limited defending abilties with, dare I say it, a bit of softness about him in that role.

Fark was I wrong about his hardness.

The most impressive thing about him on Friday night was his attack on the ball and his general toughness. He just doesn’t deviate off the line when he attacks the ball.

Another impressive quality that he has is ability to ride a bump, stand up in, break tackles and use his speed to burn away from a contested situation and be creative with the ball once he has it in hand.

I loved what I saw of him on Friday night and am looking forward of seeing much more of it in coming seasons.

11 Likes

I think Saad’s pace and dash charm people.

But even at GC he has been an exceptionally good 1 on 1 defender.

There was never any reason to doubt this and the very reason we took in Saad in as our number 1 stopper (not rebounder) to take Betts.

What is massively underrated is his decision making of when to play defensively and when to wheel and go… He has managed to judge this exceptionally well in his career to date. The decision to get in a dangerous position forward, move forward of centre and kick long to Greeny in the last qtr takes balls because Betts is somewhere goal side.

But that decision leads to a goal and huge momentum.

Very good footballer.

8 Likes

It was very satisfying to see Saad run off Betts, take the mark and clear the ball as the siren went.

Mission accomplished.

3 Likes

Great debut from Saady.

6 Likes
6 Likes

The glove.

Saad happy for another small forward task
Callum Twomey
Mar 27, 2018 10:22AM

Adam Saad kept Eddie Betts goalless in his Essendon debut - AFL,Essendon Bombers,Adam Saad,Eddie Betts,Fremantle Dockers,Adelaide Crows
Adam Saad kept Eddie Betts goalless in his Essendon debut

AFTER shutting down Adelaide star Eddie Betts last week, Essendon defender Adam Saad is setting himself to take on one of Fremantle’s dangerous goalkickers in Saturday night’s clash at Optus Stadium.

Saad was excellent in his first game for Essendon since crossing from Gold Coast last off-season, keeping the three-time All Australian Betts goalless and limiting his influence as the Bombers overran the Crows in the final term.

Fremantle was well beaten in its season opener against Port Adelaide on Saturday, but has some small forwards, including Michael Walters, Hayden Ballantyne and Saad’s ex-Suns teammate Brandon Matera, who could trouble the Dons.

Saad has settled in nicely in Essendon’s back half, and is ready for another challenge after taking Betts’ scalp.

“I’ve got no idea [who I’ll take], whoever the coaches want me to play on I’ll play on,” Saad said on Tuesday.

“They’re crafty and very smart as well, but if we can bring our team defence it’ll go a long way to winning the game.”

The 23-year-old, who played three seasons with the Suns before seeking a trade home to Victoria at the end of last season, said he tried to play his natural game against Betts.

“Later in the week I spoke with the coaches and they said I’d be playing on Eddie Betts and to just play my role for the team. I thought I went OK. I just tried doing my best on him and do the best for the team,” he said.

Essendon will head to Perth later this week to take on the Dockers, who have beaten the Bombers four of their past five meetings.

They’ll take some confidence with them following the exciting victory over the Crows, which came after being 20 points down at the final change.

“It just gives us belief and confidence that, even if we’re down by three or four goals at three-quarter time, that we can [do it] and that we’ve got the run in our legs,” he said.

Essendon’s main fitness query ahead of the contest surrounds Zach Merrett, who was concussed early in the win.

However, he is tracking well and trained with teammates at the club’s Tullamarine base on Tuesday morning and looks more likely than not to be available.

“He’s progressing well. He’ll get a session in and he should be fine to play,” Saad said.

Saad will reach the first milestone of his career this weekend, his 50th AFL game, itself a terrific achievement after he was overlooked in several drafts before being given a chance out of the VFL.

“I’m just really grateful to be playing AFL footy. I missed out on a couple of drafts, and every game I play is a privilege,” Saad said.

4 Likes

IMG_6781

7 Likes

What’s my job this week coach?

Betts.

Betts? How do I play him coach?

Just play your role for the team.

No particular hints or strategy you want to give me specific to Eddie?

Your role Adam, just play your role. You’ll work it out.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Surley you jest? Betts didn’t play on Friday night

1 Like

Ask that teenager that wears #1

2 Likes

Whenever Adam Saad picks up the ball in the back-half -

926d127280fbd2ef409166c0f2f4fe1c

17 Likes

Reckon Betts is done as a footballer

You make some outlandish statements Nino.

It’s one round of football.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s done, but I reckon he’s on the slide. Last year he was 20 goals less than the previous year (75 down to 20). Admittedly it was still a very good year and his other stats didn’t change much. But I reckon he’s going to be around the 40 goal mark this year.

If he gets 40 then still has him in the upper echelon of small forwards.

The guy is a gun so I’m happy to give him a bit more time.