#42 - James Gwilt

Essendon Football Club will officially lodged paperwork on Sunday which will see former St. Kilda defender James Gwilt join the club as a delisted free agent.

An experienced and agile defender Gwilt has agreed to terms with the Bombers as a delisted free agent.

The 28-year-old was recruited to St Kilda with pick 63 in the 2004 National Draft playing 125 games from 2005 – 2014.

List manager Adrian Dodoro said Gwilt would be a valuable addition to the club‘s senior list for the 2015 season.

“We have put an offer to James which he has accepted and we will now formally lodge the paperwork with the AFL,” Dodoro said.

“James has great flexibility having showcased his ability to play on both small and tall forwards during his time at St Kilda. He has proven experience in big games having played well during finals series in his time at the Saints."

“It is exciting that James has agreed to join our club as we believe he can addsome real depth and experience to our list. He is still playing some very good football and we are confident he has a lot to offer our club going forward."

What the hell?

I don’t know that I’d call him inspired…
He’s serviceable without stinking too much.
Which is exactly why we got him.

Gwilt is looking more and more the inspired pick up. Can’t fault him the last 2 weeks and Fletcher’s groin is looking suspect as hell.

Should definitely earn a contract extension at season’s end.

Gwilt 18 disposals at 94% efficiency - 1 Clanger. Best efficiency of anyone with over 10 touches.

Pig is improving. His form is lifting.

He was actually listed in the best for the Bombers with 25 touches. There were a couple of obvious clangers but no more than Jimmy G executes each time he plays. Having said that Gwilt looked more assured this week than I’ve ever seen him. But theres no way I’d be dropping Hibbo.

Pig is improving. His form is lifting.

Well Henry, Gwilt has played 4 games. Will he make 6 ?

Not sure. But he’s doing exactly the job we wanted him for.

He has been very good the last two weeks.

His body work on both Sinclair & Naitanui (when forward) in marking contests was excellent; prevented them from flying for marks over the top.

I don’t think he’s been in the worst in any of his games for us. Has competed. But not polished, has made a blue or two each game.

Put it this way, if Fletcher was available next game I would have no hesitation dropping Hibberd and playing Gwilt in Hibberd’s role.

Although I thought it was Gwilts best game so far, I wouldn’t keep him in for Hibberd.

For all our complaining re: Hibbo’s form, I think he has worked really hard and is playing at a good level, only our game plan and style is rubbish and not providing him with anything to work with. At his prime he would attack the contest drive the ball forward and then pinpoint leading targets on the wing or around our forward 50. He was devastating. We haven’t had one of those leading targets literally all year - there is no one for him to kick to. The game plan on Saturday was - “everyone play in the back half and then work it out amongst yourselves when you get it…” What were our running half backs meant to do?

Stop, prop, and handball!

God, it annoys me that people don’t even know our gameplan!

That’s wrong

You must, must, must, handball to someone either flatfooted or under the pump.

Well Henry, Gwilt has played 4 games. Will he make 6 ?

I really like Gwilt, always did even as a St Kilda player. Quality defender, keep him in the team.

His body work on both Sinclair & Naitanui (when forward) in marking contests was excellent; prevented them from flying for marks over the top.

I don’t think he’s been in the worst in any of his games for us. Has competed. But not polished, has made a blue or two each game.

Put it this way, if Fletcher was available next game I would have no hesitation dropping Hibberd and playing Gwilt Fletcher in Hibberd’s role.

I like Jimmy G but he's an even worse kick than Hibberd is at the minute!

Put it this way, if Fletcher was available next game I would have no hesitation dropping Hibberd and playing Gwilt in Hibberd’s role.

Although I thought it was Gwilts best game so far, I wouldn’t keep him in for Hibberd.

For all our complaining re: Hibbo’s form, I think he has worked really hard and is playing at a good level, only our game plan and style is rubbish and not providing him with anything to work with. At his prime he would attack the contest drive the ball forward and then pinpoint leading targets on the wing or around our forward 50. He was devastating. We haven’t had one of those leading targets literally all year - there is no one for him to kick to. The game plan on Saturday was - “everyone play in the back half and then work it out amongst yourselves when you get it…” What were our running half backs meant to do?

Stop, prop, and handball!

God, it annoys me that people don’t even know our gameplan!

Love the Kramer hairdo.

What’s happened to Schoenmakers anyway?

Didn’t he cut off his hair and lose his super powers a la Samson?

Love the Kramer hairdo.

What’s happened to Schoenmakers anyway?

What those who criticise J Gwilt don’t know about football could just about be squeezed into the MCG.

Gwilt is the clear reason we are last on the ladder guys.
Talk about one eyed and bias. I disagree. He's been more than serviceable in the circumstances.

He was 'avin a laff

bruv

cuz

He's played 25 games for our club, for 3 wins.

Of those 22 losses, 10 of them have been by more than 10 goals, and 2 of them have been 100+ point beltings.

Lucky for him, he’s only had to play as an undersized key tall during all of that.

Furthermore, despite the absolute ■■■■-storm of a situation he came into that had nothing to do with him, I don’t reckon I’ve ever seen him drop his head, or give up, or just ‘collect the paycheck’ like some guys in his situation have. So much so, that the coaches put him into the temporary leadership group after only being at the club for 12 months.

He’s been a very solid competitor during our darkest ever time, and he cops WAY too much undeserved sh*t on here.

Hope he plays next year and beyond.

You’re on a bad acid trip !

He's played 25 games for our club, for 3 wins.

Of those 22 losses, 10 of them have been by more than 10 goals, and 2 of them have been 100+ point beltings.

Lucky for him, he’s only had to play as an undersized key tall during all of that.

Furthermore, despite the absolute ■■■■-storm of a situation he came into that had nothing to do with him, I don’t reckon I’ve ever seen him drop his head, or give up, or just ‘collect the paycheck’ like some guys in his situation have. So much so, that the coaches put him into the temporary leadership group after only being at the club for 12 months.

He’s been a very solid competitor during our darkest ever time, and he cops WAY too much undeserved sh*t on here.

Spot on.

If he kicked 8 goals, 43 touches, 19 marks, 27 kicks, 4 handballs and 18 tackles he’d get criticized for not having enough handballs. People see what they want to see. Gwilt has been one of our best performers this year and would be a gun third tall defender, but unfortunately for him he has had to play on guys way bigger than him. He reads the play well and has a nice long kick.

Hope he plays next year and beyond.

Such a professional!!

Came in to do a job and has done it to the best of his ability. Can’t fault that at all.