#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

And yet they play him. FFS!

This has got the Harvey at Freo level bad for playing unfit guys who can’t perform.

2 Likes

I have a theory.

During the JLT matches, Tippa was probably in our 2-3 best players. His crumbing was some of the best we have seen from him. He was getting himself front and centre at the drop of the marking contest… then scooped it up and drilled the goals within half a second.

The last 2 matches, the coaches have stated that the forwards are pushing up too high (McKernan). McKernan is trying to make himself a marking target further up the ground to compensate for the lack of options, and to cover Bellchambers lack of presence around the ground.

Tippa’s role is staying at the feet of McKernan and Brown. Both of them are leading up the ground.
His options are:

1. Follow McKernan up the ground.
    Or
  2. Try to keep the forwardline structure, by staying closer to goal (as he is instructed).

As the player that is closest to goal, he essentially becomes the no 1 marking target. Hense the midfielders kicking the ball to Tippa, on the lead.

Could the midfielders be abit more creative in the way they kick it to him?
F*ck yes! Dribble the ball along the ground, or kick the ball towards goal so he can change direction and run in to an open goal.

IMO Tippa shouldn’t be blamed for becoming the hit up target… it’s a significant structural issue that must be addressed.

22 Likes

It blows my mind that this doesn’t occur to them. He’ll win that ball 80% of the time. I’ve seen him deliver it to Baguley like that because he understands the contest.

3 Likes

There was a centre bounce just after halftime, when it was TBC, Stringer, Walla and I think, Heppell at the bounce.

TBC hit it down, Walla ran straight at the ball, crunched a Sainter, Stringer grabbed it and bolted clear, good clearance.

Never saw them together in the middle again.

Walla may not get enough possessions, but his pressure makes it easier for his teammates.

6 Likes

It’s true. He only had 7 disposals but 26 pressure acts. That’s massive.

14 Likes

If he doesn’t fall over.

1 Like

WALLA2MOZZ

Make it happen

2 Likes

Half back 2016 style, get him back involved in the play while McKenna has a stint in the middle.

1 Like

If only we stacked up on small forwards, we just don’t have enough.

True, I forgot we’ve got fk all up forward.

Are you implying we shouldn’t have delisted Greene?
Dangerous territory on Blitz.

No but in the last few years a fair few have been picked up in the rookie draft or late in the draft. Our recent picks haven’t played many games for us and it’s not like we’ve had any success.

He’s just playing too deep for too long, makes me wonder whether he’s carrying something

Looked red hot through the JLT. Actually commented that he was one that looked ready to fire…

Could be carrying something.

1 Like

Blockquote

He was playing and higher. And he looked fkg good.

1 Like

WORST

CHF

EVER.

3 Likes

Same scenario as last year.

Midfield looks terrible and our small forwards looked terrible.

Walla will come back into the game just like last year when we start getting the ball into the forwardline faster and cleaner.

3 Likes

Was woeful in the first month last year too.

Yep. The only strange thing is how good he looked in the JLT.

1 Like