#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

For whatever reason he seems to save his worst performances for the Dreamtime games

I would drop him and bring Bags back in.

You know what you are getting with Bags.

A small forward will often have games where things don’t go there way and they are mostly ineffectual. It happened again for Walla tonight. He still has a dip, it’s just didn’t work tonight.

The problem is not Walla, but rather our lack of small forwards. Even with Raz in the team we are one quality small forward short. So when he isn’t there, Walla can often look pretty exposed.

Irving may or may not make it. We need to draft another small forward…possibly mid season draft, but definitely national draft at the end of the year

1 Like

Nah.

Walla is such a tease, though. His best is electric and super damaging, but when he plays poorly - he stinks it up. Sans the massive Dusty run down and tackle, he gave us squat tonight. It’s that gap between when he is on and off that is worrisome. It is called consistency. Rather than drop him, Woosha should find other roles to bring him into games. A stint in the middle or off HB. Anything, but leaving him deep forward doesn’t always work with Walla.

I disagree.

We have to many players post 25 years old that still can’t impact games from week to week.

Woosha can’t just move the side around to accommodate players who are not playing well. If we are to be good players like Walla have to stand up and seize the moment. It was his total lack of interest that was most concerning for me tonight and I’m one of his biggest fans.

With Walkas skill set he should be challenging for an AA spot.

Agree to disagree, but there is no way you are gunna convince me that dropping Walla for Bags would improve us one iota. Bags is cooked. Walla isn’t. He is just inconsistent. 7 goals in a game not that long ago and not much since. Giving him a stint on the ball might be what he needs. You can always move him back forward during the game.

2 Likes

Walla is ten times the player that Bags is but Bags puts in 100% at every contest.

If we don’t start demanding consistent effort from our more talented players then we are going no where.

having a go at a fp in a game where the forward structure was kick it to him vs three tiger defenders is the height of stupidity

don’t do it

Wholeheartedly agree and I understand your point. Bags isn’t cooked because of a lack of effort. He just can’t impact games at all anymore and players are running off him. Starting to give away too many frees as well, as is clearly frustrated at not being able to impact the game in the ways he would like. I dig his endeavour, but father time has caught up with him. It happens.

Walla needs to improve his consistency - no doubt about it.

Agreed - but let’s extend this to ALL the players picked in the best 22 each week. Look at Ambrose. Not the most talented at all, but he brings such ferocious intensity. So many players didn’t put in the requisite effort for four quarters tonight. For patches - yes. But - not for four full quarters, except for Parish and a few others. And against a disciplined team such as Richmond, those lack of four quarter efforts will be exposed. Walla, Franga, Pidge and even Zaka were all very poor tonight. There were others as well. We simply can’t click as a team at the same time.

1 Like

He plays a tough position reliant on so many others.

He is the least of our worries.

8 Likes

34 pressure acts.

Was forced to play a lone hand at ground level because we played 4 tall forwards in wet weather conditions. Meanwhile Richmond had 5 genuine small forwards, all of whom kicked at least one goal.

5 Likes

But he didn’t really try, that’s what people in here are saying…:wink:

1 Like

I wonder if people realise we have to replace Stringer and Shiel this week.

Bags and Myers may well come back in, just on the strength of that.

mynott + clarke.

seasons done.

Yes, but don’t give the ball to Mynott deep in RED TIME.

2 Likes

Tippa seems to be a good barometer for how the club is tracking.

@Killer_Mike - why are you seemingly ignoring pressure acts stats for Tippa when you’re happy to quote them for other players in other threads?

I think that is his most important role in the team and he is consistently in the club’s top 3 for that. Last night he was huge with 34. People see his lack of goals and just assume he had a bad game. But it’s not all about that.

And Bags…do you see how many pressure acts he had in last game? 3.
He hasn’t had more than 15 all season. I’d say Tippa is a millions miles ahead of Bags even if he doesn’t kick another goal all year

3 Likes

Leading small forward has 20 goals while Tippa has 16 goals - Goal assists - Leading small forward has 12 while Tippa has 7 - I am convinced some don’t understand the role of a small forward - He ends up with 30 goals, 15 Goal assists and more IMPORTANTLY plays his role, then he’s done his job.

7 Likes

A small forward’s output being dependent on the rest of their team’s performance is not a new phenomenon.

I’d focus on fixing our forward structure, ball movement, and delivery inside 50 before worrying about Walla’s performance.

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about pressure acts.

I was talking about the opportunity to take the ball and do something important with it. I saw on a couple of occasions Walla sat back when he had the opportunity to go in and grab the ball but on both occasions his opponent took it away.

It’s something that Langford gets accused of all the time but Walla is far more experienced and needs to do more.

I think we seriously lack players that want the ball in every situation and that’s why we consistently get beaten in the big games.

We lack the James Hird types that drag us over the line.