#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

Davey wasn’t quite the same after he did his knee. Lost a step, before that he was electric pace, didn’t have the ability to turn players inside out like Tippa does though.

3 Likes

His biggest setback was when Geelong deliberately broke his arm. They also, IIRC, sniped Hird that night.

2 Likes

We had them on a plate that night too until that happened. Alwyn arguably never the same after that and you’re spot on Jim was belted all night

2 Likes

Disagree. I believe Davey’s issue was that teams learnt to handle players like him. When he started there was his brother and few others doing that really fast forward pressure role. He got lots of tackles, lots of holding the ball, and scared players.

However, over the next few years there were more and more of those types, and defenders learnt to handle them. They didn’t panic as much, kept an eye out, and for someone as small as Davey often simply ignored his tackle. He still got the occasional holding the ball, but it was a lot less common.

Maybe, but Davey was a _lot_slower after the injury.

3 Likes

[quote=“wimmera1, post:4443, topic:2519, full:true”]
Maybe, but Davey was a _lot_slower after the injury.
[/quote]Only for a season or so (IMO).

I thought Davey was one of the great Essendon key position players of all time

11 Likes

[quote=“Ants, post:4444, topic:2519, full:true”]

My perspective was it had more to do with Alwyn second guessing himself, early on he would throw himself at everything and really crash into players. After the two big injuries, I think he didn’t go as hard at the end (he would chase hard and put pressure on but the manic desperation turned into self preservation a bit and fair enough too).

He used to get my out of my seat at the game or off he couch at home and it is the same with Tippa now. Hopefully he has better luck with injuries and keeps mixing his skills with hardness at the contest.

Also this game and the start of the season should settle the back forward debate. He is perfect as a HFF causing havoc from the center square to the goal square.

Defenders beware, particularly in the wide open spaces of the G.

3 Likes

I reckon there’s a lot to this, in addition to the effect of his knee injury. Thankfully Tippa looks to have a body better suited to the physical nature of AFL.

3 Likes

Just needs to continue to keep his feet. Did it well on the weekend.

Can’t fkn wait to get to Melbourne in 8 days time and get his number on a new Guernsey

4 Likes

I’m still cleaning the TV set after that Fanta to Tippa, back to Fanta shot at goal. Hit both freaking posts!

2 Likes

jesus. i dont know what wouldve happened if it was a goal

1 Like

I’m surprised it didn’t get stuck between them.

1 Like

Is there a link or a gif of this point? Heard it on the radio

6 Likes

Interesting weekly podcast with Scotty and Lloydy . If his manager calls him Tippa, I have no problem continuing with that name myself.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/McTipungwuti43/status/843020517179248640

10 Likes

I wish high res photos were easier to come by… I’d actually try spending some time on something like this ^

19 Likes

That looks awesome.