#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

TIPPA is that good he can play all of the positions.

May struggle as ruckman.

May struggle as ruckman.

How dare you!!! GTFO!

Sorry. Mea culpa. Obviously he will rise to the challenge. By a foot or so.

The AwFuL introduced the third-man-up ban purely to stop TIPPA destroying the game.

Sorry. Mea culpa. Obviously he will rise to the challenge. By a foot or so.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13381332_1699098493689592_226420835_n.jpg

The team will only benefit from having him train to be a mid. I'd imagine it would only be stints and not a full time mid role. With his improved fitness and potentially have a run in the midfield from time to time, this would make him an even more difficult match up when playing up forward.

The guys a star! I wish we could clone him and play him in multiple positions across the ground!

This is where our Tiwi next gen academy (assuming we give a shit about it) will come into play. Itā€™s a never ending pipeline of low hanging fruit when it comes to talent. Just needs a little nurturing.

But not too much, we donā€™t want these kids getting picked up in the draft. Just good enough to make the list and then to explode into the scene like tippa.

And that is the problem with these academies. You spend all your time and money developing these kids and then someone else swoops in and takes them. Itā€™s a crap system. And the more remote your area is (and ours couldnā€™t get more remote) the worse the deal is. That being said, I hope we get a few gems out of there.

Arenā€™t academy players bid on?
So if someone takes him early we match it.

Itā€™s about as fair as can possibly be made.

No, you're confusing the indigenous/multicultural academies (like our tiwi academy) with the much more generous academies that the expansion state clubs get.

We have no right to match a bid on one of our academy kids. All we can do is rookie b list players from our academy, once the draft is done and assuming those players were overlooked. Same way we signed mcneice under last year.

So any kid who looks like being a genuinely good prospect really on will get drafted by whoever decides to call his name out & thereā€™s nothing we can do about it.

Isnā€™t that just the interim rules that applied this year to every bob & joe who got nominated? I believe when the ā€œfullā€ academies take effect we get the full matching ability and 20% discount of the northern clubs.

This year was just an interim ā€œspecialā€ rule because the academies are still a little way off. Thatā€™s why everyone who matched the criteria could be nominated. Under the main ones theyā€™ll have to come from particular areas (in our case Tiwi Islands), weā€™ll have to show theyā€™ve been involved with the club and the academy for a certain number of years, and (stupidity of stupidity) canā€™t be regular TAC players (I think the limit is 10 games? Of course, not sure if APS counts, so could still go to a private school and not play regular TAC). Whereas this year they just had to have the right background, and of course be so poor nobody wanted to draft or rookie them.

Iā€™ve never heard that. I thought it was currently this ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  system, where a bloke has to be unworthy every single pick in the rookie draft to be picked up in an academy.

May struggle as ruckman.
How dare you!!!! GTFO!
http://68.media.tumblr.com/f9eb1e6b9508e4ad659335a4d5a07511/tumblr_odh4vosGx01u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Five feet of fury is all thatā€™s needed to be world champion.

The team will only benefit from having him train to be a mid. I'd imagine it would only be stints and not a full time mid role. With his improved fitness and potentially have a run in the midfield from time to time, this would make him an even more difficult match up when playing up forward.

The guys a star! I wish we could clone him and play him in multiple positions across the ground!

This is where our Tiwi next gen academy (assuming we give a shit about it) will come into play. Itā€™s a never ending pipeline of low hanging fruit when it comes to talent. Just needs a little nurturing.

But not too much, we donā€™t want these kids getting picked up in the draft. Just good enough to make the list and then to explode into the scene like tippa.

And that is the problem with these academies. You spend all your time and money developing these kids and then someone else swoops in and takes them. Itā€™s a crap system. And the more remote your area is (and ours couldnā€™t get more remote) the worse the deal is. That being said, I hope we get a few gems out of there.

No, you're confusing the indigenous/multicultural academies (like our tiwi academy) with the much more generous academies that the expansion state clubs get.

We have no right to match a bid on one of our academy kids. All we can do is rookie b list players from our academy, once the draft is done and assuming those players were overlooked. Same way we signed mcneice under last year.

So any kid who looks like being a genuinely good prospect really on will get drafted by whoever decides to call his name out & thereā€™s nothing we can do about it.

Isnā€™t that just the interim rules that applied this year to every bob & joe who got nominated? I believe when the ā€œfullā€ academies take effect we get the full matching ability and 20% discount of the northern clubs.

This year was just an interim ā€œspecialā€ rule because the academies are still a little way off. Thatā€™s why everyone who matched the criteria could be nominated. Under the main ones theyā€™ll have to come from particular areas (in our case Tiwi Islands), weā€™ll have to show theyā€™ve been involved with the club and the academy for a certain number of years, and (stupidity of stupidity) canā€™t be regular TAC players (I think the limit is 10 games? Of course, not sure if APS counts, so could still go to a private school and not play regular TAC). Whereas this year they just had to have the right background, and of course be so poor nobody wanted to draft or rookie them.

Iā€™ve never heard that. I thought it was currently this ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  system, where a bloke has to be unworthy every single pick in the rookie draft to be picked up in an academy.

I thought the same as Ants, that it was interim. But to my knowledge the AFL havenā€™t announced when the real rules will come in. Of course vagueness is how they like it

I thought the same as Ants, that it was interim. But to my knowledge the AFL havenā€™t announced when the real rules will come in. Of course vagueness is how they like it

I think they announced the rules about July/August last year. Thatā€™s about when North fans started salivating over that Tasmanian indigenous prospect that is draftable in a few years. But clubs didnā€™t like that GWS is getting so much benefit now, and the AFL didnā€™t like the idea of guys who have been in the general system qualifying for the academies in 2017, so they put in the rules around interaction for academy players and put in the ā€œinterimā€ system as a sop to the clubs for the delayed gratification from the new academies.

I am just in awe of the way this bloke is transforming his body. He looks in absolutely ripping shape and has already come so far from even the beginning of last year. It must be exciting for him also to realise that as he becomes fitter (stronger?) his ridiculous skillset just becomes increasingly amplified. He is already going beautifully but his trajectory is sharply upward and I still think his scope for improvement is absolutely phenomenal. With a decent team around him, his intelligence with the ball will be great to watch - particularly when he can interplay with some of our other clever footballers like Heppell and Watson. Just so bullish about this guy and for me he is THE most exciting player for me in 2017.

May struggle as ruckman.

Tippa brings the Kama Sutra to football.

I am just in awe of the way this bloke is transforming his body. He looks in absolutely ripping shape and has already come so far from even the beginning of last year. It must be exciting for him also to realise that as he becomes fitter (stronger?) his ridiculous skillset just becomes increasingly amplified. He is already going beautifully but his trajectory is sharply upward and I still think his scope for improvement is absolutely phenomenal. With a decent team around him, his intelligence with the ball will be great to watch - particularly when he can interplay with some of our other clever footballers like Heppell and Watson. Just so bullish about this guy and for me he is THE most exciting player for me in 2017.

Plays for the jumper.

Barely got rookied.

Barely got rookied.

Stuck Gold with this guy haha.

Barely got rookied.
What was the perceived knock on him? His fitness?
Barely got rookied.
What was the perceived knock on him? His fitness?

They didnt want to draft him because he would have made all the vanilla players jealous of his silky skills, causing them all to fall into a deep depression that they will never be able to do what he does. thus making them all quit footy in the process. it was for the greater good of the team.

He could quite easily kick 40 this year if he plays predominantly forward. Good for 2 a game I reckon

A great example of persistence and hard work paying off, I could not be happier for him.
He will provide us with many memorable moments over the years, very greatful as a supporter.

He could quite easily kick 40 this year if he plays predominantly forward. Good for 2 a game I reckon

Nah, his move to the midfield will curtail that a bit. 30 for the year I reackon.

Talking raw numbersā€¦

2016 averages
14.9 disposals, 4.2 marks, 3.2 tackles
8 goals total from 21 games.

What do people think are some realistic progressional targets for him in 2017?