#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

Walla had a poor JLT1, but in JLT2 kicked a goal and had numerous goal assists. That is exactly what we want him in for.

He had four touches.

Walla had a poor JLT1, but in JLT2 kicked a goal and had numerous goal assists. That is exactly what we want him in for.

He had four touches.

Those two statements are actually compatibleā€¦

You want the ball in this guyā€™s hands as much as you canā€¦and for me that is running off the half back line, taking risks to open up the ground and setting up the forward 50 entry.
Yes his pressure was good, but if he only gets the ball 5-10 times a game (which I fear will be a common occurence as a small forward), it is a waste of his sublime kicking skills, run and carry and vision.
I think our backline looks a lot more balanced with his pace. Kelly, Goddard and Stanton all likely to spend time there. As good as they all are, as a collective they donā€™t provide any dash, which we sorely need in the back half.

He had four touches.

Those two statements are actually compatibleā€¦

Not if ā€œnumerousā€ means what I think it means. Numerous is not a synonym of multiple.

i donā€™t care where he plays heā€™s a fkn asset whatever position.

And if anyone thinks there 18 players let alone 22 better than tippa on our list theyā€™re fkn kidding, infact it infuriates me more than a pat smith article at the height of the saga

1 Like

It appeared TIPPA legit played full-forward for significant portions of the game. If weā€™re in that situation in the real games weā€™re stuffed, and not because heā€™s not on a back flank.

(Green FP, TIPPA and Raz HFFs, and Colyer wing, thanks. Though at any one time you may have one of them on the bench.)

He had four touches.

Yep and kicked a goal against the Pies too

I feel like Iā€™m shooting Bambi, but at this stage I see Tippa as possibly missing out on round 1 based on current form as a forward. Raz, Green and Colyer all produced more per game than weā€™ve seen from Tippa. With a whole pre-season not playing defence, itā€™s unlikely heā€™d be shifted back at this late stage. If the decision is to drop one of the 4 to go a bit taller, youā€™d have to reward the results to date. I fully expect Tippa to be an awesome HFF, but it may take more games to adapt than we have remaining in the pre-season comp.

News Flash:
The season hasnā€™t even begun yet.

News Flash: The season hasn't even begun yet.

And yet, it feel like itā€™s already over!

Was invaluable last season running off half back, making players look stupid with his immense defensive pressure and tackling and using his elite evasiveness and foot skills to set up his teammates down the ground.

He is wasted forward now that we have Green.

The thing people are forgetting, is that heā€™s a pretty average defender

Do you mean locking down a direct opponent and/or positioning himself/helping out other defenders/intercept marking when the ball is coming in?

Iā€™d agree they werenā€™t his strengths, but you think they could have worked on those weaknesses during the pre-season rather than trying to turn him into a forward.

Defenders also need speed, vision, strength, physicality, tackling, ball skills, courage and repeat efforts, of which he had plenty.

Heā€™s good at the offensive stuff, but one on one and locking down his direct opponent arnt his strengths. Plus heā€™s a liability overhead when the ball is coming in

This is why I think heā€™s a forward/mid

Heā€™s a mid. Tank permitting Iā€™d like to see him have a crack on a wing.

Absolutely

But heā€™s smart enough to spend stints forward too. People ā– ā– ā– ā–  themselves when heā€™s around

Was invaluable last season running off half back, making players look stupid with his immense defensive pressure and tackling and using his elite evasiveness and foot skills to set up his teammates down the ground.

Do you mean locking down a direct opponent and/or positioning himself/helping out other defenders/intercept marking when the ball is coming in?

Iā€™d agree they werenā€™t his strengths, but you think they could have worked on those weaknesses during the pre-season rather than trying to turn him into a forward.

Defenders also need speed, vision, strength, physicality, tackling, ball skills, courage and repeat efforts, of which he had plenty.

Heā€™s good at the offensive stuff, but one on one and locking down his direct opponent arnt his strengths. Plus heā€™s a liability overhead when the ball is coming in

Yep, me too. Give him licence to find space and to deliver the ball out of defence / into the forward line.

Agreed. That transition role between defence and our forward line. The guy just seems to cut through opposition midfields like a knife through butter.

Not sure if itā€™s necessarily the best role from a team / coaching perspective, but itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  fun to watch!

Yep, me too. Give him licence to find space and to deliver the ball out of defence / into the forward line.

So, have we reached the point of concluding he canā€™t play anywhere and fire Dodoro why sign him up for three more years of this torture?!?

2 Likes

There is a video on the EFC site that shows all the goals.

If you just watched that, youā€™d have thought Tippa was one of the best on ground.

I prefer him back, but he does have value up forward, and he did manage to impact that game with only 4 touches.

1 Like

WOB is right, the fact that we playing him forward when we already have Green and Orazio is that the coaches feel he is a liability in defence. Obviously he is a wonderful offensive player but he was getting scored on heavily and dragged deep last year. If we can play a well drilled zone that would help him.
I always found it strange why we were not putting more time into him during his VFL time as a forward which seemed the most logical opportunity for him to succeed at this level. In saying that, Iā€™m confident he will be a good forward and Iā€™m very hopeful he can build a tank big enough to see him get some midfield time where I think he could be incredible.

1 Like

I want him to sell so much candy to opposition players, that their becomes a diabetes epidemic at all the other clubs

It starts.