#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

Looks like we will be seeing him make appearances in the midfield ( outside) rotation during the year.

Because that move really paid dividends.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting that if he has 16 touches and 1 goal and stuffs up 3 golden opportunities, thereā€™s only positives; when Langford has 15 touches, 1 goal and 1 bad miss heā€™s had a shocker.

15 Likes

So youā€™d say both players had the same influence on the game?

1 Like

No, not quite, but I think it was a lot closer than the respective threads & review thread would suggest. Tippa had a pretty poor first three quarters IMHO, he had a number of tackles slip off, and he ran over a few ground balls that he should swallow. Looked like Brisbane were putting a bit of heat on him early, got clobbered almost every time he marked it. Great in the last quarter.

1 Like

Helped turn the game around in his stint on ball. Valuable tool to have as a small forward, him and Raz can both do it.

2 Likes

Tippa was on ground for 65% of the match. His impact on the game is pretty impressive for a 2nd year player, who i watched and struggled to run out games in the 2s.
Compare that to Fantasia
89% for 5 goals and 10 score involvementa.
We have two small forwards that are different and compliment each other.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t seen the full game yet but do we keep forgetting Langford is still just a big kid? Some kids get going quick, some donā€™t, particularly the larger units. Heā€™s shown something and now heā€™s getting a chance to learn his craft. He looks class to me, time will tell if he can command it.

7 Likes

Itā€™s probably already been said but I thought Tony Mc was instrumental in our last quarter surge. Once he was on the ball he was consistently the one moving the ball forward and then kicked that goal himself. The real X factor. Gun.

1 Like

I dont think there is a more exciting sight in AFL footy at the moment than Tippa taking them on. He has the excitement of Andy Lovett or Michael Long on the burst, and the brute force of Byron Pickett. Iā€™d love to see him get a bit better at contesting a mark

5 Likes

Legit took me a second to figure out who you were talking about. Must be Sunday.

1 Like

Type of player iā€™d consider throwing into the middle at the end of the quarter (ā€œredzoneā€) for that injection of pace one way and pressure the other way. Can really reinvigorate a tiring team and o can imagine the opp counting the mins for a breather only to see him pop up at the bounceā€¦

4 Likes

Luke Darcy really butchers this guyā€™s name pretty badly. Just call him TIPPA ffs.

1 Like

I hope our mids and backs finally understand that you deliver the footy in front of him, not above him, after the last game.

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised MMM donā€™t call him McDonaldā€™sTripleMFooty.

20 Likes

This was one very annoying aspect of the game the other night. Reminded me of the delivery to Alwyn when he was in his prime as our No 1 CHF

1 Like

There are a couple of things about Walla that have not been mentioned. Firstly the amount of panic that he appears to instil in the opposition when he has ball in hand. They know he delivers the ball very effectively and you can see them looking alarmed and distracted. Secondly when they put him under extra pressure it usually leaves Raz or Colyer a little extra freedom. Like Cyril he doesnā€™t need as many disposals to be as effective as other team members. Part of his problem with marking , he is usually shorter than his opponents , and ball delivery from his team members doesnā€™t seem to take this into account , so we often have another Alwyn Davey situation. Unlike HAP I have supreme confidence in his worth to the side. I think he is worth at least 2-3 goals per match to the side with his goal involvements and goal kicking alone along with his tackling.

10 Likes

Iā€™d go 6.

2 Likes

The difference between Walla and Langford was Walla would create an opportunity and just not quite finish it. You could just feel the magic would happen if he got another chance. Langford just seemed to be the weak link in the chain.

Where did I doubt his spot in the side? Please donā€™t put words in my mouth.

Iā€™d keep both of them in, unless they were really not contributing. Both good kids.

1 Like

I actually think he may be simply scratching the surface ATM - nowhere near his glass ceiling yetā€¦ Kinda like a someone who takes up long-distance running and runs a 4mins/km in his first marathon (my brother just did thatā€¦) - heā€™s just getting started and discovering how good he can be.
If Tippa can develop a tank to go with all the intangibles and unteachable that he has by the truckload, chuck that in with experience, and he could put on that 4th qtr show and rip teams apart much more often.

2 Likes