#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - WALLA MACCA TIPPA - till 2022

I know very few like the Champion data ratings, but we will only fully see where he stands in the ratings at the end of this season when he has 2 years of data accumulated.

At the beginning of the year he was ranked 288th in the league, after 8 games he is 168th
At the beginning of the year he was 12th at the club, after 8 games he is 4th just 0.2 behind Zaka.

He must be progressively given more midfield time. Surely !

3 Likes

Number 1 ranked fwd pressure player in AFL apparently

9 Likes

Now, that is an accurate stat!

We haven’t had a player who could just explode away from stoppages like that since, well I can’t remember. Jj maybe at his best buy he didn’t have the skills. We can’t get an elite tap ruckmen soon enough

Except Jobe on Anzac day

We gotta get him to start breeding…but with a really tall female so the offspring will have speed and height.

17 Likes

Just highlights how quick Looney is!!

Like michael Gardiner?

And thankfully he had the cheeky bounce in front of Smith. I think he remembered last week and wasn’t going to run too far again. Smith lumbers after him thinking, “I got this”, and Walla just kicks in after burners and blows him away…Sheer awesomeness.

The gif makes it look like his little legs are going even faster than they normally do, it just needs the ghost trail coming off behind him and he could be the Flash.

1 Like
Essendon forward Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti has rocketed into All-Australian contention . JAY CLARK, Herald Sun May 18, 2017 8:00pm Subscriber only . JOEL Selwood thought five metres was comfortable breathing space as he gathered the ball in the back pocket late on Saturday night.

The Cats captain saw Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti motoring towards him, but turned and steadied.

Yet, with 12 lightning steps and a desperate lunge, the Essendon speedster caught his prey cold.

Bombers fans went nuts.

McDonald-Tipungwuti’s story is already a remarkable tale of persistence, making the challenging six-year journey from the Tiwi to Gippsland Power to the Bombers’ VFL side.

But Saturday night’s three-goal performance not only netted the livewire five coaches votes, it enhanced McDonald-Tipungwuti’s growing reputation as one of the competition’s most lethal small forwards.

And arguably the best rookie pick of the past three years, alongside Swans’ hard-nut Tom Papley.

Since McDonald Tipungwuti’s move into attack, the electrifying goal sneak is putting up numbers almost identical to Hawthorn superstar Cyril Rioli at the same stage of his career.

It’s a lofty comparison, but Champion Data now rates the former rookie an elite general forward based on his output over 29 senior games.

That means he is in the top 10 per cent of players for his position, putting the former Northern Territory junior firmly in the early All-Australian conversation.

The Bomber has averaged 14 disposals, 1.4 goals, six score involvements and four tackles a game. Every club in the competition would love the searing pressure he puts on in the most dangerous part of the ground.

But you can’t underestimate his ball use, either. The red and black wrecking ball has an above average kick rating of +4.9 per cent, taking into account position and difficulty. He is no one-trick pony, but a two-way weapon.

It is quite an achievement for a man who almost gave up on his AFL dream several times in recent years, with the goal kicker at one stage admitting he considered a career in rugby league.

Essendon coach John Worsfold and recruiting guru Adrian Dodoro must be rapt.

From the ashes of the supplements scandal, Dodoro has helped create one of footy’s most exhilarating forward line combinations, plucking McDonald-Tipungwuti with pick No.22 in the 2015 rookie draft and Orazio Fantasia at No. 55 in the 2013 national draft.

For value, that’s hard to beat.

The two speedsters have helped reinvigorate a club which was on its knees 18 months or so ago, bagging 30 goals between them already this season.

And they can jump up into the eight with a win over West Coast at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Dreamtime comes true for Tipungwuti

ANTHONY McDonald-Tipungwuti grew up wanting to be a part of the AFL’s Indigenous Round.

Last year, he got his chance and will again in next Saturday’s traditional Dreamtime at the ‘G meeting with Richmond.

Essendon unveiled its 2017 Dreamtime guernsey and its new indigenous art installation and firepit — designed by Mandy Nicholson — that now welcomes visitors to its Tullamarine base.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti unveils Essendon’s Dreamtime guernsey at the club’s Tullamarine base. Picture: Mark Wilson

The AFL also revealed the unique Sherrins that will be used next weekend, designed by former Bombers and Port Adelaide star Gavin Wanganeen.

“Last year, I was fortunate enough to play my first indigenous (round) game. It’s good to go out and represent your people and where you’re from and who you are,” McDonald-Tipungwuti, from Melville Island in the Tiwi Islands, said.

“It was a big moment for me and it will be every year. It’s good to go out and celebrate your heritage.”

The Bombers’ guernsey was designed by Kalkadoon woman Chern’ee Sutton, and depicts “boomerangs to represent the battle that will take place on the field with a kangaroo depicting the Bombers’ speed, strength and agility that will take them to victory”.

9 Likes

haha, no don 't edit it, it read much better with those links. It fit the commentary perfectly!

Kels sound like he may have soiled his shorts and the big fish is happy to see Walla burying ■■■■■!

1 Like

Gardiner was 199cm
Tippa is 171cm

On that ratio if all things are equal he needs a woman of 227cm…that’s 7 ft 4 inches which puts him roughly 3/4 of her height. At least he can be fed his milk whilst still standing.

This is being nice to Cyril considering tippa leads him convincingly in all major stats this season bar uncontested possessions and inside 50s where Cyril enjoys slender leads

1 Like

You’d have to somewhat expect it as they perhaps comparing Cyril’s numbers over the first two years when he was drafted as a kid.

Whereas TIPPA is mature age.

Either way it’s great he is getting kudos. Certainly becoming a fan favourite even amongst non-EFC supporters.

To clarify, I meant he is ahead of him this season!

Essendon forward Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti has rocketed into All-Australian contention
Pfttt, barely got drafted, no chance.
3 Likes

Ryder to Tippa is just… Nah, I can’t think about it :frowning:

2 Likes

Fixed

13 Likes

But did you l know that he wouldnt have got a chance if we didnt take drugs?
This was news to me and rightly pointed out at least 10 times tippa walla went near the ball.
In fact none of our young guys would have played any games or be any good if we hadnt taken drugs to give them a game apparently.
Im sure ill forget that trivia nugget again by Sunday, lucky those idiots like Darcy Moon, and richo will remind me again.

5 Likes

Drives me fkn spare.

Another thing you don’t hear when you sync up the telly to the Radio broadcast of the game.

2 Likes