Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

I went with not. He may get a 90 first round. But then most likey get a 30 and 20 in the following rounds.
All depends on when T Bell comes back because if Smack rucks the majority of the game he is unlikely to get a low score like a 20-30. But once he becomes a backup he may get dropped or his scores will drop

Pedant strikes again. “The proof is in the eating” and smack your lips afterwards.

1 Like

Yes, yesterday

1 Like

Sigh,

The proof of the pudding is in the eating !

4 Likes

His mobility should assist him against McEvoy and Vickery. He’s in a good patch of form at the moment and we’ve seen in the past how well he can play when confident, top 10 finish in the B’n’F 2 years ago from only 9 games.

3 Likes

Is “craft” the new buzz word this year? FMD.

4 Likes

Valuable, we would have won the VFL premiership no doubt.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my concern too. Thought he might get 3 games an no 1 ruck, then could trade him once his value has risen. It’s really about when Tbel is back for me.

There is no doubt that McKernan is physically more mobile and that this theoretically should result in him matching or beating McEvoy around the ground.

However, one of McKernan’s biggest weaknesses is his lack of football smarts. He goes missing for large periods of the game because he does not have good positional awareness and does not read where the ball is going to go. As a result, his best work will be in the clearances if he can nullify McEvoy and Vickery in the ruck contest. Those hoping for a ‘win’ around the ground will probably be disappointed.

Ruck arts and crafts.

1 Like

Well, if you’re going to write off 2016 performances then that will certainly change the discussion. But it seems a bit odd that you say he’s best suited for role X, but are going to ignore the period he played that role. I agree Brown is no Hooker, but it was still possible to see how McKernan moved, presented and played in the forward line.

I would also question if EFC particularly rated him whether he would have been demoted to the rookie list, given we’ve only got two rucks on the senior list.

This is it for him. If there was ever a chance at having a crack as a senior player with no other ruck to impede him this is it.

If he loses the hit outs in the middle he has to make it up around the ground in stoppages. Run McEvoy ragged and then in the second half jump him in the middle too.

Also needs to get up forward.

Will be the difference tomorrow is what is a very good/balanced Essendon side.

His confidence in himself is key. In the past it seems to me he has let inevitable beatings in the ruck destroy his belief in his wider game. Leading to free kicks against, and the evaporation of his capabilities as a follower. Getting tired and fading out of the game will happen, and is not ideal but understandable, but he must not let his head drop.

Like having another midfielder…

I had him behind Heppel and Zerrett. 3rd best for mine.

2 Likes

He held his own in the ruck… Didn’t win, but what he lacked in hit outs, he made up for in disposals and movement around the ground.

4 Likes

Told you prics

1 Like

Had equal 27 hit outs.

Only stat mceovy beat him in was kicking 1 more goal. (One that was gifted)

Mckernan had 7 more disposals and 2 more clearances.

I say mckernan smashed it.

19 Likes

I’ll put my hand up. I was wrong, he was good tonight.

1 Like