Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Says the coach that won a flag.

If Smack stays in when all three ruck men are fit, then Belly is a better partner because he can be dangerous as a resting ruckman forward. Leuy is probably our best traditional ruckman but he isnā€™t as good around the ground as Smack. Nice problem to have in a couple of weeks when are all fit. May even get an insight this week if they decide to pick Belly.

2 Likes

Wow, HAPā€™s back. Finally got off those angry pills?

1 Like

Says the coach who recruited Tim English.

I probably heard it wrong, but upon reflection seems more a query about the role of only tap ruckmen.

English can also go forward and dob a few.

Itā€™d certainly be ironic if the no third man up rule along with the interchange caps spelled the death of the bean pole ruckmen given that appears to be half the reason the AFL introduced them

3 Likes

Pure tap ruckman have been out of the game since Cox and it all started with Maddern.

Offer nothing around the ground and you wonā€™t go far. Itā€™s my biggest concern about the Burger, whilst he is a better tap than Belly and smack he is not as good around the ground.

At least with the three we have a varying type to choose from.

Hopefully each can impart some knowledge and Draper becomes a combo of all three. The burgers tap work, bellys marking and smacks ground game.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

I think heā€™s better than Belly at getting around the ground. Far better

1 Like

I reckon all 3 would get slapped around in the ruck by Sandi/Goldstein/Gawn. Pretty sure Gawn did just as convincing a job on Leuey last year as Sandi did on Smack in 2015.

Smack just does stuff around the middle when heā€™s not contesting the ruck.
As much as Leueyā€™s by far our best tap, he makes us a lot slower. And weā€™re pretty well covered for slow.

1 Like

For mine, if mckernan plays another blinder, why should luey come in for him?

That ruck position is smacks to lose

1 Like

That goal he kicked went about 65m. Was a flaming booming kick.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t seen a better game by an Essendon ruckman in recent memory.

much better option than TBellā€™s form pre losing him

Leuey is a lot better around the ground than people are giving him credit for, in fact a lot of people are underrating him when heā€™s in top form.

2 Likes

A glacier is better than getting around the ground than Bellchambers

1 Like

But none of the others come close to Belly up forward.

Which, on exposed form, says a lot about than the other 2 than big Tommy

He was pretty good, but playing him in the ruck for much longer isnā€™t sustainable. He got a favorable matchup, but conceded two goals and six free kicks. As soon as Looney or TBC gain full fitness, Iā€™d be bringing one of them in.

1 Like

1 Like

He didnā€™t concede 6 free kicks in the ruck. Most of them were around the ground and some of them were pretty dubious. Not that I think heā€™s a permanent full time ruck either, but still.

1 Like

Itā€™s a tough one.

Technically he suits playing next few rucks in Stefan Martin and Kreuzer as similar types and he can provide impact around ground like them.

But then if we had Leuey heā€™d be pretty much getting a clear win at tap outs and so our dominance at stoppages/centre bounces would be beneficial for side.

Smack canā€™t be our main ruck against any of the Gawn / Sandi / Goldstein types however. Will get pantsed