Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Great discussion and l hope for 2 things.

1. The discussion continues.
  2. SMack is able to back up his R1 game against Brizzy.

l agree that Belly has slipped to #3 spot of our ruck options right now,

I’d just argue Smack doesn’t link up that much. Whether Leuy’s positioning is deliberate or not, he does form (or end) a lot of chains through the middle.

FWIW I reckon they’re all pretty poxy.
All have exactly one string to their bow: Leuey can tap, Bellcho can go fwd, Smack can do stuff around the clearance.

1 Like

Tom Smackburger would make one hell of a player though.

22 Likes

This must just be your gut feel, because seemingly nobody else has seen this happen.

That or you’re thinking of the games when SMack was freezing his ■■■■ off in our forward pocket last year.

As close as you can get to apples for apples: when Smack played mostly 1st ruck in 2015 he was getting 18 touches a game, when Leuey played mostly 1st ruck in 2016 he was getting 12. He finds the ball in the contest, he finds it outside the contest.

Or an old injured guy with a weird neck & orange trousers

Also that sounds like a the stage name of a leading actor in a certain niche male on male video documentaries.

2 Likes

Short legs/long torso ratio (and gigantic neck) makes for better balance and agility - lower center of gravity, stocky legs.

2 Likes

I prefer Looney Bellsmacker, myself.

7 Likes

McBeachburger. Limited time only.

1 Like

or none at all.

Oh man, Bomb Doe could have made that happen

I reckon you are grossly underrating Looney’s running ability. He is one of the quickest guys at the club, and also a very good endurance athlete. He covers a lot more ground than Smack, and during preseason is a member of one of the better running groups. I agree that Smack is better below his knees, but he does not get to as many contests as Looney whose athleltic ability is just plain freakish.

PS: Great to see you around again

2 Likes

To which I would re-iterate

1 Like

Some of you are on the goooooood ■■■■
Leuney might’ve been quick (for a big man) when he was drafted but that was 11 years, 12kg and about 17 knee operations ago.

Iirc he was top 5 at Brisbane in the 20m sprint
Dunno where he’s at now but he certainly looks slower
“Matthew Leuenberger, who the Lions took at selection four in the national draft, already has stunned club officials.
Leuenberger, who is more than 203cm and 93kg, clocked a sizzling 2.83secs for a 20 metre speed test.
“Matthew was second fastest in the speed testing. That’s freakish for someone over 200cm. It is a great sign of his athletic ability,” the Lions coach said.
“But he’s only 18 and needs to strengthen up. We believe he is a terrific prospect for the club.”
If Leuenberger is regarded as a stong chance to play some senior football in his debvut season but his presence alone placxes pressure on the existing ruckmen Jamie Charman, Beau McDOnald and Cameron Wood.”
Interestingly his draft camp time is listed as 3.02s
From memory Zac Smith was similar - quick when he got to GC but slowed dramatically as he gained weight

I’m only going off what Woosh and other have said: that Looney is one of the best runners at the club. Jon Brown said Looney was the quickest bloke at Brisbane during their pomp. He was a very talented athlete as a junior. Looks can be deceiving.

1 Like

Also Jason Laycock won the time trial one year, and football clubs always tell the truth.
I also think it may be worth pointing out Leuenberger was drafted 11 years, about 12kg & and roughly 37 knee surgeries ago. Whatever he might’ve been then, he sure plays like a slow bugger now.

Endurance is a different story, he goes all day, there’s no doubt there - and that’s probably what they tailor his training towards

2 Likes

[quote=“Eastie_Boi1, post:2136, topic:2099, full:true”]clocked a sizzling 2.83secs for a 20 metre speed test.

"Interestingly his draft camp time is listed as 3.02s
[/quote]
So he tested pretty normal in front of everyone, but one of the quickest of all time behind closed doors?? (2.83s would put him equal 12th of all time as per this )

This sounds pretty credible to me.

I’m not sure even Tom could play up to standard after a Smackburger.

WD’s post was a joke post. The part where he is happy to see you gave it away.

Has there been a bigger Blitz homecoming by the way? It’s like when Drake drops a mixtape out of the blue, it’s just in every mthfkg thread.