Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

You couldn’t have dropped Smack after last week, but plainly nothing has changed in the last few years. He just can’t string together multiple good games.

Has been slaughtered by Martin thus far.

Getting absolutely pantsed tonight. Too many people get sucked in. We have seen it for how many years now. One great game, three average ones. Big part of the reason we are struggling at the moment. Anyone who thought he was ahead of Looney needs to apologise.

3 Likes

That implies that somehow he just needs to do better, or find some consistency. People do realise that he just isn’t that good right? When the match up suits him no doubt he can play a good game but thinking that his ability around the ground is somehow going to make up for not being a good ruckman is ludicrous.

2 Likes

I never understood why people thought Martin was a good match up for him. Got totally out muscled.

Poor guy, during the theme song, he had a look on his face like he knew this was his last senior game :frowning:

Lies! That implies he has the ability to change his facial expression.

2 Likes

Huge ask to expect him to ruck the whole game.
Thought he could’ve done with some more breaks tonight.

He’s still alive. I tried to line up a coffee with him when I was in Melbourne a fortnight back. Cold shouldered me on the grounds that he was heading overseas for a Photoshop conference the next week.

4 Likes

Really only had 1 poor quarter tonight but gives away too many silly frees and although he is trying hard he will never be a number 1 ruckman but is handy depth

Made me think of this with the Smack v Martin matchup

Exactly. Good Ruck and KP back up. We need Luey back asap.

Either winning us games or almost losing us ones. Almost gave me flashbacks to that Goldstein match.

Needs to learn to be competitive when his opponent is on top.

The irony is in the second half if he’d just stayed down in centre ball ups and either tried to shark the ball or tackle Martin if he grabbed it, Smack would have been more effective. The number of times he jumped past Martin who just grabbed it and got a clearance was frustrating.

2 Likes

His jumping was all over the shop tonight,

Think maybe giving him full ruck duties 2 games in a row is a bit much, do other teams do this? Surely you need to eventually give him a bit of time off in the forward line?

History tells us his next game he will be on fire again, then save his stinker for the pies, which won’t matter because we’ll have relief for him by then.

Ah, are you knew to footy? Most of the main rucks in the league only play ruck. Leuy last year played exclusively ruck in his 20 odd games.

2 Likes

Unlucky for McKernan. Unless he plays like he did against the hawks every week then he doesn’t keep his spot for more proven players.

1 Like

He’s an undersized rookie ruckman who can really beat blokes his own size when he’s on. As has also been mentioned a stack of times, it’s a damn shame he’s not a big marking, smart forward who can chop out the main ruck because Hooker would indeed be a defender this season. But, if he was he wouldn’t have got here in the first place. Be interesting to see if the coaches decide TBell has done enough to get selection next round.

Oh man, that phrase confused me so much.

Snarky smark me.

1 Like

Should play next week. Was always going to struggle vs martin. He was beaten but inly the 3rd quarter was really poor. Kreuzer a much better match up for him next week. I’d give leuy and Tbell a run out in the 2s to build fitness and form to then bring one of them in for the adelaide game vs jacobs

I don’t like that he is making us use Joe as a Backup.

Swap for Belly next week.

1 Like

His biggest problem is his inconsistency. We saw that yet again last night.

5 Likes