Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

and this

1 Like

The 2015 & 2017 versions played full time ruck. He didn’t play that role you describe either year. You’re suggesting changing the dynamics of the forward line which has been working well to put in another tall player on a wet track. And McKernan has mostly been a goal kicker when playing ruck - he doesn’t usually score goals as a forward.

No, I’m not a fan of the idea.

Hes a rookied depth player. of course he gets dropped when a ruck is fit. He needs to be irreplaceable to keep his spot and last game vs brisbane showed he wasn’t.

8 Likes

Contributes to giving us the best depth we have had in ages.

Needs to work on his forward craft in the case that we have an injury to Joe or hooker. But even then he’s still forward depth too.

If he gets dropped - who plays relief ruck?

Daniher? Who is probably the hardest player on the team to replace.

I think McKernan should stay as insurance for Daniher. If he spuds it up then we can look at other options but this is a good week to try him as a forward/bench.

1 Like

Daniher has been relief rucking perfectly fine.

And on a wet cold day taking additional talls in not a viable option. Under roof at Etihad different story.

At some point we will trial it this year I expect.

5 Likes

Yep, we swap a main ruckman for a main ruckman.

The relief ruck issue remains exactly the same as the first two rounds, and we survived those.

3 Likes

Yep, … and I think JD enjoys it. Gives him a little break from repeated leading and having a bloke up his clacker fulltime. Gives him a 5 minute respite on occasion when he can let his hair down & run free.
I think it’s good for him too, in a reverse logic way, it actually freshens him up to go back to the fwd role with new vigour.

1 Like

Given how the new ruck rule has been making teams use non- moral rucks I can see Hooker, Ambrose and pretty much any tall player or one that can jump contesting random ruck contests.

You just need someone that can compete which is what Daniher does.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

2 Likes

His neck reminds me of ‘Hungry hungry hippos’

rip Mc Nernan

Riding on into the night

Shaun of the dead.

2 Likes

Yeah, well it is better than the waiting game.

1 Like

Who do Carlton have? Casboult? Relax man, Carlton have Kruezer and basically bit parts for relief.

On a wet day it makes sense to play one less ruck and Luey is the better ruckman.

1 Like

Gee, what more could the bloke do.
Been a key player during the first 2 weeks.
Offering a point of difference in the middle.
He’s best 22 everyday of the week.
So, the coaches favour the 1 ruck format.
How’s Bellchambers going to fit into that structure?

Win some hitouts?

7 Likes

WTF is wrong with some of you.

He was brought in to replace leuy after he got injured.

leuy is now fit.

mckernan didn’t show enough as a ruck to warrant keeping his position.

6 Likes

I like McNernan, but he was OK against Geelong in the final JLT, good against Hawthorn, slightly sub par against Brisbane, and is at best a depth player. We have competition for spots this year and a fresh list. It makes perfect sense he would be having a run in the twos this week.

He’ll always be a battler as an undersized ruck, he plays with a lot of guts and tries very hard, but he will never ever be an automatic selection.