Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

He could have kicked three if Hurley didn’t get the 50m as well.

Kicked the goals he had to, competed well after half time

4 Likes

But also if Stewart doesn’t improve from his current level, I’d hope it wouldn’t take us 4 years to delist him.

2 Likes

He was a late rookie pick, who has filled in adequately when needed.

We’d have been a bit farked if he wasn’t around for the first two games of this year.

I reckon he’s served his purpose.

3 Likes

If we’re shooting him, then the 3 small forwards and Joe must be reaaaal ■■■■■■.

Not sure what others were seeing
Took a half to find his feet.
Pretty serviceable when the game was on

If that’s the worst he ever plays he’ll be worth keeping, but…

3 Likes

Yes he was a late rookie pick, although I’d say his work as a fill in has been occasionally adequate. My point wasn’t about how long he’s been on our list (although that too I suppose) but rather that he’s been around a lot longer than Stewart, so saying that Stewart was also ■■■■ is not much of a defense of McKernan.

If Stewart didn’t improve in the next 4 years (which would take him up to McKernan’s level of experience), and was still on our list, I would be disappointed in the list management.

Was 1000 x more useful than Greene, who has been putrid two weeks in a row.

1 Like

Stewart has also played the last 6 weeks in the seniors, and had a more favourable match up than Mckernan.

If Mckernan was so bad he must never play for the club again, then Stewart’s future can’t look too bright either.

Anyway, hopefully Hooker is back next week.

To be honest I don’t think Stewart’s future is looking that bright, so maybe that’s the difference. But yes, bring back Hooker. I’d say fingers crossed, but I wouldn’t want to dislocate them.

That may be a overreaction but seriously, he’s 100% gone at the end of the year

Seriously? The guy has played 24 games ffs!

2 Likes

If he doesn’t get better, his position on the list would be in trouble in a couple of years, what’s ffs about that? It’s a pretty mild statement. The same’s true of half our list. Players improving is the fundamental basis on which a lot of them are retained when they’re young.

But he has improved. Not sure why you are making this comment now?

I was making the comment because I was responding to Peos comparing McKernan’s game to Stewart’s. It was in no way intended to be a negative comment about Stewart, if anything it was a defense of Stewart.

Kicked more that Daniher and Franklin.

LOL.

2 Likes

Mckernan comes into the team, when needed to fill a role like last night, he did the a job that the coach asked.
In the second half, he gave us a good target and spillages inside 50 + kicked a couple.

Stewart is a high half forward that is leading high up the ground and using his speed to beat him opponent inside 50.

Stewart and Daniher are still learning how to play together. Give it time because they both have unique qualties with there height and athleticism.

1 Like

He’s 26, he’s 1.96 or 1.98 depending which you can believe, and generally does a good job in whatever role he’s thrown into when called upon.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we keep him, he makes wonderful multi position back up, and, as we have seen, has improved year on year, and could just be heading into his best football.

8 Likes

I’d be shocked and disappointed if he was still on our list next year. Just can’t see him ever having the consistency or hardness to make it as a regular

1 Like

All teams keep players on their list who are purely depth. Smack can fill a role like he did in ruck earlier in year in ruck and just did as a fwd.

Experienced competitive unit who knows game plan so can come in when required.

7 Likes

Couldnt agree more has been a great insurance addition to our team. Really like him on the list.

1 Like

But he didnt have GOAT defender Michael Hartley on him, so the goals don’t count.

I can EASILY think of 5/6 players I’d delist ahead of Smack, that means he’s probably worth keeping. He’s reliable KP backup that comes dirt cheap.

1 Like