Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

I can see why Smack might not get a game next week, but I’m pretty sure he should be on the list next year. He’s the perfect depth player who can be played in the ruck or up forward. And when he gets on a burst he can be a world beater.

He was awful in the first half Friday, and verging on the uncompetitive. That’s him at his worst. He was okay in the second half though, and kicked important goals. I expect he’ll be dropped this week for Hooker, and fair enough, but there’ll be times when he’ll be a necessary in.

6 Likes

I thought his game on Fri night was good. He was very quiet in the first half, but that was more through lack of opportunity than stuff ups (dropping marks, making mistakes etc). That can happen to a key forward at any time, let alone in Sydney when your team is not getting the ball inside 50 very much.
In the second half, he kicked a long point that was a good kick from around the 50 after presenting on the lead. He then kicked a goal from a mark on an angle. And he would have had another set shot if Howlett hadn’t overcooked the pass when he lead up the middle and was in the clear. He took a brilliant contested mark on the wing in the last, then kicked a goal from a free, and then he marked and would have been kicking from around 40 on an angle when Hurley was paid the 50. All up potentially 5 shots on goal from marks on the lead or a free in a marking contest.
For me that is a very good contribution from a target forward. His kicking for goal is a big plus. When he gets an opportunity, his kicking means he is an excellent chance to convert. You could do a lot worse.

11 Likes

Okay, McKernan comes into the side in one of the toughest games of the year, Sydney have saturated the ground to nullify our talls marking and maneuverability, it was also designed to nullify our speed and the accurate delivery required to break the lines and make dangerous forward entries.

We all know Smack managed to kick 2 of our 8 second half goals when the only other forward who could kick multiple goals or more goals than points was James Stewart who had similar stats.

That was no easy ask to come into this game, and because he kicked goals he did his job.

McKernan is a player who can provide back up in the ruck and attack. Unfortunately for him when Draper and/or another ruck recruit overtakes him he is probably gone.

My contention is, if he got a run at playing 3rd tall who provided a bit of ruck back up in the 2017 forward line, I reckon he would look pretty good. He’s not the best ruckman, he’s not the best or second best KPF, but as the third tall I reckon he is a tricky match up, with his combination of grunt, size, strength, marking and mobility. Unfortunately for himself, when he gets to play senior footy, it is usually as a main ruckman or KPF. I think the reason Stewart did better in the first half was that Smack was being treated as the KPF and after Stewart kicking goals and looking dangerous Smack was relegated to 3rd tall by the second half. This was like Hooker dominating the first half against Port, and then getting acknowledged as the No.1 forward and then Joe was relegated to No.2 and kicked more goals.

However his back up ruck role is probably the only thing that might keep him on the list at the moment. The third tall role is currently Stewart’s because he is seen as having more potential, and between Stewart, Begley, Lav and Francis, by the time it is 2018 he won’t get a look in as a forward unless it is back up as a KPF, which won’t suit him as much.

5 Likes

I don’t get it. Our two highest goal scorers in the game and people are falling over themselves to delist them on the back of their performances.

3 Likes

True, but it’s still a funny stat.

I actually like him has a third tall forward and have been harping on about for a long time, and I think his performance last night was good in the circumstances, but if you don’t get what I said, answer the following questions:

1. Is he in front of Hooker if he returns next week as hoped?
  2. Is he in front of Stewart to stay in the side next week?
  3. Do you think he will be in front of Stewart, Begley, Lav or Francis for a forward position in 2018?
  4. If Draper or another ruckman is selected for 2018, are better prospects as ruckmen in 2018 does he keep his spot?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’re right you don’t get it.

If on the other hand you weren’t referring to me, carry on.

1 Like

Nope, wasn’t referring to you. He probably won’t be on the list next year. If he is it’ll be for depth and, as you say, he’ll likely be at the end of the KP/ruck/third tall forward queue. The next argument that will come from this, if he is on the list next year will predictably be “why didn’t we take tall kid in the draft?” of which there may be many reasons.

I would have used McKernan on Kennedy in the middle such was Kennedy’s dominance - when matched up against him Langford was embarrassingly brushed off easily and Heppell well beaten in Q3,

As it turned out, other adjustments were made and we were a lot better around the contest until the last 5 minutes disaster.

But I’d love to see McKernan given the role of a 1:1 big-bodied mod on units like Kennedy, Bontempelli, Martin etc.

3 Likes

Bont on mckernan. Bold move cotton.

3 Likes

We have to do something very different with our midfield right now if we want to make the Top 8.

2 Likes

I don’t think we have many options, we are seeing Fantasia going through there a bit, we can increase McGraths time but apart going back to the well with a Bird, Hocking or Myers what can we do?
It just shows how desperate we are in need of options and we have to get aggressive come seasons end.

2 Likes

The most obvious thing to do is put McKenna in the middle - has the perfect combination of physical grunt and burst speed for an inside mid role.

Yeah I don’t mind the idea but I don’t think it’s feasible without a preseason of instruction. It’s taken him a season and half to play strong football in his current posisition, we just risk confusing him when he is just starting to blossom.

2 Likes

I’m surprised he’s so young. Must be a huge age gap between him and Corey.

Some big blokes don’t peak till 26-28. I can imagine them keeping him as insurance until Draper reaches AFL standard.

1 Like

I can only assume that they wanted McKenna cut at the start of the year.

Nope. Huge McKenna fan. Was supporting him earlier in the year when he was copping it, and in fact when we drafted him I posted that we’d need to give him three years before passing judgement.

And for the third freaking time, that wasn’t a negative post about Stewart.

1 Like

My eyes told me Reid and McKernan were outclassed by their respective opponents who received coaches votes.

Good eyes by you.

2 Likes

We usually use our eyes.

McKernan lures his victims with the occasionally brilliant goal, or solid mark or act of agility that makes you think- wow wait till he gets some confidence and games under his belt. This guy would be a gun

Problem is ‘occasional’ is all he is ever capable of. The odd spark mixed with generally zero intensity and what appears to be an inability to get in the right spots by consistently reading the play wrong.