Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Yeah, but as you demonstrated, yours are particularly observant. Kudos to you and your eyes.

1 Like

Youā€™re an eyes hole.

I can sniff some BS with my nose mmm mmmm.

I really hate to do thisā€¦butā€¦considering how much crap the total spud in this comparison gets on here, Iā€™m amazed anyone here doesnā€™t want Smack gone. I realise thereā€™s a difference in games played, but really, the only difference here is at least we didnā€™t waste a top 10 pick. I always hope he plays well and improves just as I do with any Bomber, but to me he has had enough chances

Is he really 200 cm ? That is a very tall spud.

Is McNernan still around? Named as a seniors emergency last 2 weeks but hasnā€™t played in afl or vfl. Could have been more help to Joe last week with Hooker out.

3 Likes

Hmm. Looks younger.

3 Likes

Frankly, Iā€™ve always liked Smack.

He is a beautiful kick, with his ball drop so close to his boot. If he just gets 2-3 marks, he can steer them all through the middle.

If he was at the Doggies, he would have given better output than Redpath or Cloke. May have been enough of a tall target to get them into the finals.

And if he has to come in for Hooker, we can still win.

4 Likes

If hooker doesnā€™t get up, you would think he is a big chance to play after his game last week

1 Like

Not sure they would make 3 changes unless Hooker is ready

Given they held Leuey back last week, I imagine playing TBC forward and Leuey in the ruck is being considered, if Hooker doesnā€™t play.

I would prefer TBC in the ruck and Smack forward thoughā€¦

5 Likes

yep. Iā€™d be bringing in McNernan if Hooker isnā€™t right. now that Stewart demands more attention, itā€™ll keep another tall defender honest, stretch their defense - all which means Joe has less double-teamingā€¦
another 2 advantages - Sean can share the ruck load a bit, especially around the field - relieving TBell and also Joe. his long kick can also be an asset on a field where long kicks from the square can be kicks for goal. Heā€™ll be playing for his career if picked. Really want him to succeed.

1 Like

The thing is he HAS to keep that defender honest. Shaun has the odd purple patches and flashes of brilliance, but all to often he has really failed to do anything substantial. He had a blinder against Hawthorn this year, and just when I was thinking I had doubted him for the wrong reasons, he slips back to being ineffective

He had four kicks for 2 goals against the Swans last time (mind you Stewart only had 5 kicks for the same return).

1 Like

Playing in the ruck keeps him honest

1 Like

He really is an enigma. Iā€™d reckon heā€™s just about the best kick for goal in the team, a beautiful pass on the run and a solid mark. How frustrating it must be to have so much talent and at the same time suffer from the brain fades and periods of insomnia (wrong - itā€™s narcolepsy,) that blight his game. If you could be sure of the aggressive, switched-on Shaun turning up heā€™d be picked to play every week.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not for lack of wanting. I was right next to him and his dad (had a nice chat - lovely man) in the rooms after the rd1 win. It meant the world to him. We often tend to ignore or bypass the importance of sport psychology and how much is between the ears.
I just watched the interview with Fletch - prob 180deg opposite as far as composition goes. Fletch was hardly ever flustered, always easy going, whereas Sean seems to have the world on his shoulders. You even see it when he celebrates a goal - clenched fist and steel look - it looks like heā€™s been in the Bastogne trenches from the Band of Brothers, never happy/rejoicing. BTW - he was like that in the rooms as well when greeted by his father. a firm, steel handshake, and an obvious recognition of what it has taken to reach that moment (his father said that much to me only minutes before). Unlike all the other players there who were all smiling from ear to ear, relaxing after a big RD1 win.
I aint no shrink, but my little experience as a long distance runner has taught me about the zoom-in/zoom-out technique which is necessary in long and taxing marathon training. You canā€™t be an absolute mofā€¦ all of the time - neither during a long run (or even the marathon itself), or a training period. Your mind needs to zone out, relax, and let the cruise control take over a bit here and there. Otherwise - the 16 + week regime of pushing yourself, chasing shadows to improve, can get on top of you. If youā€™ve failed in the past - the monkey on your back is so much bigger and makes things tougher. All this is where nobody gives a ā– ā– ā– ā–  if I run a 4min/km marathon or drop off 10sec - except meā€¦
Soā€¦ when it comes to a pro footballer, thereā€™s so much more weight and expectation, internal and external, that each player needs the tools and to learn how to go about it. For some it comes naturally, for some perhaps harder, and it isnā€™t a one-size-fits-all either.
I for one really hope SeanMac realizes his potential - if he does, heā€™ll have earned it.

19 Likes

BRING

HIM

Her Head!

3 Likes