Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

You hit the nail on the head - it’s been through no fault of his own. He needs to stay in and needs to get a decent run. Based on current form, when JD comes back Stewart goes out. He a much better option as a second ruck and has the aggro that our team lacks and desperately needs

the necks too short

They were not playing better than him then or now. Absolutely, he is behind all those guys for reputation and upside BUT again you play to form and his form warranted games.

3 Likes

I think you overrate the worth of Smacks VFL form and dismiss our terrible form that has made life near on impossible for our tall forwards. Shaun would not have registered a goal in our team to date this year with the service he would’ve got.

Stringer and Stewart have provided plenty in different games this year. Even Cale. JD - no, but we know why.

Smack has played 50 games in 10 years. Why? Because he can’t string more than a couple of meaningful games together.

He dominated in the VFL? So what? So does Myers Merrett and a whole swag of players who aren’t AFL standard.

He dominated today? We know he can kill it at times but his form over 10 years suggests he cannot play out a month let alone a full season.

Big men mature at different rates so maybe this is the new and matured Smack. Still when Joey gets back and is fully fit, he’s a far better player.

Having said all this, I was wrapped to see his game today and hope he tears it up for the rest of the season. I’m a supporter🙂

2 Likes

I said this after his first game last week, and from today’s game it strengthens the case he should have been played from round 1, in lieu of Joey. Was in excellent form in the JLT. Lucky for us he has kept it and has made the most of his opportunity. Pressure is to keep the form. Also pressure for coaches to not lose their nerve with him. Could have a purple patch of late career form.

2 Likes

Probably been the form big on our list the entire year, absolutely rapt for him.

6 Likes

I think it has been mentioned , hasn’t it, that Smack could be the new Roger Merrett, who was also a late bloomer.

The ultimate enigma. He is a microcosm of Essendon. All the talent in the world but for whatever reason hasn’t been able to put it together consistently. I wish someone could get inside his head and work it out, because he can seriously play. He set us alight, his best is top 20 in the AFL, but then he can go missing. This time with Joe out, if he can continue with this form, he will be impossible to leave out. A Joe/Smack/Stewart forward line can work because they are all mobile.

2 Likes

That was the hardest I’ve seen him work in an AFL game. Keep it up.

agree

Imagine the plays himself into another year on the list?

1 Like

He was our best tall forward in the preseason. He was by all reports tracking in the best physical shape of his career, he earned to be played. I’m not arguing that he will suddenly become a gun or that it’s time to trade out JD I’m saying that if you have a player on your list you pick them when they deserve it. That’s the best way to establish a competitive environment where places aren’t taken for granted.

14 Likes

Had a great year in 2015. Became best 22.

Got injured early on in 2016, never got back to his best form.

2017 had a good first game, then got replaced by Luey, Tbell, after that no place for him in the fwd line.

Now he’s had a good preseason, he’s needed, and is beginning to take his opportunity.

4 Likes

Well said.

Oh the love, oh the angst!!!

List clogger. Really? The guy tries his guts out when he gets his chance which can’t be said for some of our “regulars”. Week after week we’ve watched this inspipid mob run around like headless chooks with no one to aim at in our forward line or anyone who even looked close to kicking a goal. He gave us a focal point and the cats ■■■■ themselves. If he plays like that every week I’d be happy for him to “clog our list” til he decides to retire. Some people wouldn’t be happy in a money storm. FMD.

10 Likes

Great comment. Smack was 10th in the B&F in 2015. He has serious talent and instead of dropping him after one poor game he should be peservered with. He’s a ripper and he puts his heart into his footy.

2 Likes

Dolphins, like Shaun, are all neck.

No.

Do it.

It’s gonna happen.

1 Like