Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Fast forward to 2019

Essendon Coach Hayden Skipworth has praised Shaun McKernan’s preseason form after trading Daniher in the off season.

6 Likes

Jerrett2McKernan

3 Likes

I love what McKernan has brought to the team this past couple weeks. Isn’t the most talented player, not the most polished either but has good hands and plays with spirit, heart and intensity. He’s high energy and there’ll always be a place in the game for someone who lacks supreme talent but gives his all every contest, every week. Reckon Richmond have three of them in their team right now.

5 Likes

If this guy can give us 80% of what Hooker can as a deep forward, then he can be a very valuable player for our structure.

2 Likes

Best game in the ruck I’ve seen from him.

1 Like

I’ve always liked him. Even in the ruck I think he’s good value — he gives away free kicks but he always competes and he does a lot of bullocking work in the packs.

He really does seem to have learned a bit about playing forward. There’s nothing fancy about him, but who needs fancy?

Love the way that he starts celebrating a goal basically as soon as it leaves his boot.

He’s a confidence player and when its up he’s majestical.

3 Likes

10-1 that Shaun McKernan - a guy who’d never kicked more than 3 - to kick 5 or more?

Man the bookies rake in the odds on these markets. Should be 50-1

I would leave Smack there playing Hooker’s role - let Joey run free. The focus and pushing tactics will not be on Joey. Dangerous forward line!!!

4 Likes

don’t know about the talent bit
who else this year in our team has kicked 4 goals 5 points??

He was very big on thanking players and acknowledging them yesterday. Goddard after his set kick for his first goal, Merrett was his set up kick. Stringer for taking it to ground etc.

Seems like a big team player.

9 Likes

Just because… SMACK!

6 Likes

nono it was 81-1 i put 10 on it…

those 2 easy misses cost me 810

This guy will give you 125% of what Hooker can do forward, and 200% more in being able to lead and mark with his pace and agility benefits over Hooker who is all about the superman beast clunk.

He can also rove goals, he also gives 120% of Hooker celebration.

That’s a 15355^.42% increase in footballiciency.

1 Like

The missing ingredient for Smack was Stringer, both of them play wth aggression and intent, both are absolute beasts in the air but also if the ball is on the deck or their opponent has it.

If you don’t get Smacked you get Stringed.

We even saw them both go for the mark and both of them beat their opponents but Stringer beat Smack.

So the marking pecking order was 1. Stringer 2. Smack 3. and 4. opponents.

This is something I said in another thread or maybe this one. 2v2 I doubt the ball would ever come out of kicking it to these 2.

3 Likes

Reckon he’s good value.

3 Likes

McKernan is a talent footballer who is smoothly efficient in everything he does on the field. The bloke is only 27, currently in his prime for a big man. It’s not beyond the realms to suggest he’s got another 5 good years ahead of him.

Judging by his preseason, VFL and AFL form, 2018 IS HIS YEAR. McKernan should be one of the first picked and if he’s dropped … well, it would be bullsh_t of the highest order because at the end of the day selection is meant to be about rewarding good form and what value you add to the team, isn’t it!?

• He’s a humble bloke. He doesn’t take anything for granted.
  • He prepares better than most - that he seamlessly slots into the 1st team is nothing short of amazing
  • Unlike Daniher and Stewart, adds genuine flexibility as a forward / ruck and with his mobility is almost like another midfielder at centre bounces and around the ground.
  • Gives his all and plays every game like it’s his last - great attribute.
  • Like Hooker, shows great passion / enthusiasm and would inspire his team mates.
  • Love how he enthusiastically acknowledges the good work of others - can see genuine care.
  • Makes other players stand tall.
  • Is the ultimate team man - never complains about his plight and always does what the team / club says / expects when called upon, whichever team he represents.

So pleased for Shaun to see him getting another chance that on exposed form says he’s in for a good year. It’s likely he’ll get a good run at it too with Daniher to be out for an extended period

McKernan is an inspiration for all, players and supporters alike. Hope the blo_dy coaches do the right thing by the bloke!? Should be on the list next year because he’s more than just backup!

37 Likes

Strangely, the reverse can also be said about Smack.
He has, at times, supreme talent. Innate talent. He can snap goals from the 50m boundary, take hangers, crash through packs. But his mind seems to not always be where it needs to be.

1 Like

Never stops competing. Pretty good at applying forward pressure too.really happy for the guy

1 Like

His problem is the gap between his best and worst, He is basically the EFC.

His best consistently would demand 800k+ per year.

1 Like