Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

I had him out at the end of the year but he is doing enough to stay. Where else can you find a 6 foot 5 back up like him and I think he is only 26.

Noticing an interesting support division out there. Those who arent yet sold on 1 good game and 2 ok games so far. And those that think he can do know wrong. Even arguing he played well on Saturday. Credit for the late goal but the reality is he was only just ok at best. If Joe played that game on Saturday he would be criticised. I believe hes done enough to stay in but im far from convinced like some seen to be. At least after this they wont be able to say he didnt get an extended run. Will be interesting to see how he keeps going.

Both him and JS had dirty nights for us.

Also, T Bell, despite his 45 HOā€™s, ā€¦ took 1 mark & had 3 kicks, ā€¦ so our FWD talls werenā€™t too flash all round on the night.

Was hardly the weather/conditions for tall fwdā€™s

2 Likes

Itā€™s because when heā€™s having a rest the other ruck is being Smacked into. So when heā€™s back the other ruckman are softened up for whoever the Bell tolls.

1 Like

Yeah, ā€¦ theirs (Cam & Pat at least) did fare quite a bit better though.

IIRC, doubling Marks and Goals, ā€¦ and then some, ā€¦ but as you say, ā€¦ it wasnā€™t great, ā€¦moreso for ours though.

T Bell spent over 3/4 on one leg with an injured calf, so not the best comparison.

But on a dewy night, talls are going to struggle. Stewart and McKernan were about equal.

And I could add - least of all the ruckmen. Usually you see the bloke who got the free was expecting to have been pinged - and vice versa.

Forward lines are about system as much as individual performance.

Each player is interconnected in what they do and as long as the side kicks a winning score as well as provide forward 50 pressure I would be hesitant to change anything.

Almost like being a part of a team.

Aaah, just niggling ya, Killa

1 Like

Well, ā€¦ obvious thing is obvious, ā€¦ :smirk:

Haha, yeH itā€™s nice to be finally be playing like one.

I wouldnā€™t be making to many changes at all at the moment and especially in the forwardline.

Although we arenā€™t kicking the big scores like last year we now have a better balance of attack and defence with baggers down there helping out.

McKernan is playing his role as good as Hoooker in my opinion which in turn allows Hooker to do what he does best and defend.

Our side is very well balanced at the moment.

Should stay in the side. Wasnā€™t his night but still competed every minute. Had s really good last qtr

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing

Even if heā€™s not influencing heā€™ll still be giving his all in the 4th qtr, where the ball just may be kicked to him and he kicks the sealer like he did vs GWS.

Like Stringer, the potential is there to completely dominate a qtr, possibly a game.

He gives his all and LOVES a goal. You gotta keep intensity players like this in a team that looked bereft of effort just a month ago.

Also his defensive efforts after the initial ruck contest are really effective, like having an extra mid.

3 Likes

Goal celebration was Hooker-esque

Iā€™m not a fan, but he is doing all we could ask from him, and without a standout replacement, he stays.

5 Likes

Well, you kept that well hidden!

20 Likes

Iā€™m curious. Why arenā€™t you a fan?

As I said in Stewart thread, in the first half our setup didnā€™t suit tall forwards. No one was playing as a deep target, hence our goals were mostly out-the-back.

Something changed at half time, which brought Smack et al into the game.

1 Like

I still like him at a centre bounce too. We seem to be able to manage tbell better with smack in the team.

1 Like