Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

His longer distance set shots have become a concern recently, kicks under the ball too much and lofts it up too much.

I’m still very confident when he marks it in range however.

1 Like

Was beaten by a damn good defender.

Still took 4 contested marks and had three shots at goal, should have had at least 1, probably 2.

If this is what his bad games look like now, he might have finally become a fair dinkum AFL player.

If Joe gets back and this guy starts playing on second-string defenders… Look out.

7 Likes

You can tell within the first 5 minutes if he will have a good game or not.

He will either tear the opposition a new one or he’ll ruin everything he touches.

There is no in between for him, that is just the player he is.

1 Like

Those kicks falling short is a massive worry.

Not like him at all.

1 Like

Physically, bar the hammies, there’s not much he can’t do.

Brain, different story. Reckon hes making less mistakes as he gets older. I’ll give him that. He’s one who may play his best footy at 30 (next year), or not… Still, he’s anything but boring to watch

He was also critically important at the last throw in. With a minute to go he came from behind Goldstein and got a big punch towards the middle of the ground which opened up the play and led to the clearance the ultimately resulted in our attack forward.

We may well have not won without it.

4 Likes

I think there were two WTF was that for?

Probably wasn’t there, but in reality I think it’s that experienced ruckman know how to draw a free when they need to.

This view might be sensible except for seeing Gawn yesterday give away a ruck free kick against the second string Doggies player and spend the the next two minutes whinging “But that’s ruck craft “

it’s like reading nirvana lyrics to sum up a player, and yet it’s so spot on.

2 Likes

who is his or the teams ruck coach ?

surely they should be finding better ways for him to compete in the ruck.
I know it was only one game, but alir’s ability to create havoc to a recognised ruckman ruckman should probably be explored to see if mckernan can add some tricks to his bow, instead of trying to wrestle with taller and heavier players.

And it was, too. Shocking rule, and interpretation thereof.

2 Likes

Have just noticed that the only two teams Shaun has never played a game against are Adelaide and Essendon. Will be interesting to see how the crowd treats him given he’s been out of there for five years. Here’s hoping he gets to stick it right up 'em.

didn’t they delist him?

2 Likes

I really don’t rate Adelaide’s key defenders besides Talia.

That Hartigan is such a spud, Smack should beat him well if that’s who he gets

I feel like he’s become a little bit more honest this year

He’s always in front, always presenting, and rarely outmarked

His good games he’s pulling in 4-5 good marks and kicking his 3-4, his bad games he’s halving them all, and creating crumbs for Tippa et al.

He used to have games where you could watch his frustration grow, and then he’d start playing from behind, throwing his body around and worrying about his man rather than the ball.

(He’s also 2nd in the league for contested marks per game, which is pretty handy)

4 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately what Smack should do and does don’t always coincide…

3 Likes

I would very much like to see the good Smack this week.

The form last weekend was on the poorer end of the scale.

1 Like

Agreed. I was pretty happy with his game against North, made a lot of contests, just didn’t kick straight (like a lot of the team).

2 Likes

7 turnovers from 10 disposals… The gap between his best and worst is as big as any player i can think of. We need him to fire this week.