Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

I can't believe those complaining. This is a brilliant move by EFC.

By placing delisting McKernan it allows three things:

1. Frees up a permanent spot on the list to recruit a DFA or kid in the ND

2. Gives us ruck cover if we don’t find a ruck in the ND

3. Stick a rocket up McKernan to work on the “things” he’s been asked to work on until the rookie draft

If we somehow got English at our rd 2 pick and still had picks 29, 41 and possibly another in the ND, then we wouldn’t bother with McKernan at all. If we don’t get a ruck in the ND, then we will need McKernan as cover which a rookie pick (our very last selection) would make it worthwhile.

Was anyone shattered we took Gach Nyoun in the rookie draft or did they complain about missing out on anyone?

1. Good if we get a kid, but if we get both Richards and Green, it’s horrible.
  2. It doesn’t give us ruck cover unless we have a LTI.
  3. He had a rocket when Adelaide dumped him and another when he wasn’t getting a game this year. Either he was below 100% fitness all year and deserves another chance, or he’s not good enough and his departure should be permanent.

English is a long-shot to get to our 2nd pick, are there any other good ruck options?

1. deleted, what’s the point. Trump

Lets face it. Smack is not up to it. He’s not tall enough to take on AFL standard ruckmen regularly and not good enough to be a permanent key tall forward.

Rookie maybe but not on the main list.

I reckon Jackets has a state league big boy in mind…or JAMAR.

I’m happy with this.
Gwilt, McKernan, Eades, Kommer, Hams, Gach, Dempsey, Edwards, Cooney, Ashby, Wallis, Pears all gone. All great decisions.

Only Hibbo was worth keeping but we have cover so certainly not fussed there.

Next year possibly move on Kelly, J Merrett, maybe Goddard and Stanton. I’m pretty happy with their replacements so far. We were carrying a ton of dead wood but I think we’re not far away as long as we now draft quality young kids. We need to move on and phase out our older players as soon as we know the end is near instead of hanging on like we have in the past. Draft young quality elite talent to replace them and the future is very bright IMO.

Moving SMACK to the rookie list speaks loudly about the quality of ruckman that are around.

3. Stick a rocket up McKernan to work on the “things” he’s been asked to work on until the rookie draft

If we somehow got English at our rd 2 pick and still had picks 29, 41 and possibly another in the ND, then we wouldn’t bother with McKernan at all. If we don’t get a ruck in the ND, then we will need McKernan as cover which a rookie pick (our very last selection) would make it worthwhile.

Was anyone shattered we took Gach Nyoun in the rookie draft or did they complain about missing out on anyone?

shattered he didn’t end up better than Ryder

I agree with 1.

I can see some merit in 2, but I think someone at pick 41 or at rookie pick 1- players like Darcy Cameron or Rowan Marshall I would see as genuine ruck prospects with more upside than Smack.

Regarding 3, the rocket has been there since day 1 I would think.

As for getting English, great - or even getting other ruck prospects, but you seem to be forgetting what is on our website:

“the Club is committed to re-drafting McKernan at the upcoming AFL National Rookie Draft”

essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-11-09/list-changes

So while we have Smack as back up ruck no 2, we still should be looking for someone to develop into the number 1 or 2 ruck in the next couple of years, and Smack isn’t him, so that begs the question why are we bothering, and Stewart is potentially a better option as well, where he has potential to be better at both being a forward and possibly ruck as well, but not a full time ruck.

And I am shattered we took Gach in the rookie draft because it seems apparent we don’t have the capacity to develop a raw ruckman still learning the game, so I don’t know why we bothered trying to. We couldn’t give him the ruck time in the VFL side with 2 or 3 more capable rucks in it (Jamar, Smack and Michael) and he made the side too tall whenever he was on the park with the other 3 there.

So effectively you can only afford to have 2 pure ruckmen on your list who need to be ready to play AFL (Leuey and TBC) with the third and fourth option needing to be capable of being useful on the park at the same time, either forward or back. You could argue that TBC and Stewart can probably share at VFL level as ruck forwards (if they are not current best 22) and one more fully capable ruckman is what is needed, which is not Smack.

So on reflection, I am back to bagging Smack, but not much point, because he is on the list, but we probably still need to take another ruckman to give proper back up to Leuey and TBC. So English would be nice, given he will turn 20 later next year and has some senior WAFL experience and heaps of upside, but we would have to be lucky, otherwise another 20 or 21 year old from the state leagues.

I don’t imagine @fogdog really thinks we should dump Smack if we do find a better ruck in the draft given the commitment EFC have made to him.

Meh, not fussed.

All he has done is tease like he did to adelaide.

From the comments I’ve heard about Josh Green, he has the exactly the same issues as McKernan in terms of mental application. He also lacks pace, which I would have thought was important for a small forward…

From the comments I've heard about Josh Green, he has the exactly the same issues as McKernan in terms of mental application. He also lacks pace, which I would have thought was important for a small forward...

Talking to yourself again I see.

From the comments I've heard about Josh Green, he has the exactly the same issues as McKernan in terms of mental application. He also lacks pace, which I would have thought was important for a small forward...

Josh green is very quick

Josh green is very quick

Yeah, he has faults but his pace isn’t one of them.

I like when people comment on players they haven’t watched more than a couple of times and show they have nfi.

Josh green is very quick

I like when people comment on players they haven’t watched more than a couple of times and show they have nfi.

And funnily enough, it’s quite often the same people over and over again.

Josh green is very quick

I actually have seen him play and he doesn’t look slow, although I haven’t seen much of him. That is why I have been reading Brisbane supporters thoughts on him over the last season and one of their issues is his lack of defensive pressure and that he lacks pace. But hey I guess you know best right?

Josh green is very quick

I actually have seen him play and he doesn’t look slow, although I haven’t seen much of him. That is why I have been reading Brisbane supporters thoughts on him over the last season and one of their issues is his lack of defensive pressure and that he lacks pace. But hey I guess you know best right?

Well when the Brisbane lions website describes him as “speedy” then I guess we must take the work of some random Internet forum guy from another club.

Josh Green is fast that is an undeniable fact.

For what it is worth, the Adelaide supporters I knew had views on Smack when we picked him up. A few years down the track and it is hard to argue with those views.

And no, I cannot explain why I felt the need to get involved in this discussion.

He had a bad year with injury and fitness. I wouldn’t take much notice of this year’s form. As long as he gets the kick in backside he needs from being delisted,and puts in 100% during preseason.

Greene has decent pace but was slow this year due to being overweight and unfit.

And I am shattered we took Gach in the rookie draft because it seems apparent we don’t have the capacity to develop a raw ruckman still learning the game, so I don’t know why we bothered trying to.

Shattered? Seriously?

I’m shattered if someone in my family dies, no where near shattered if my club picks a player that doesn’t work out.

Get some perspective in your life

He is always going to be caught between two positions .