Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Woe is us.
The umpires really have it in for us…

Don’t even consider that McKernan is a serial free kick offender in comparison to our best ruckman.
Here are the comparisons between McKernan’s best season and Looney’s last season.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=6&type=A&pid1=1722&pid2=3134&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2015

Even at Adelaide McKernan gave out more free kicks than he earned. How many free kicks did he give away against Goldstein that night? Four or five?

He’s been an inconsistent player his whole career. I don’t see that changing.
He and Bellchambers are a stop gap between whenever Looney is ready to retire and until we find and develop our own next ruckman.

THE ENIGMA,
Clunks contested marks
Turns on a dime and slots a goal like a goal sneak.
Hits the deck like a cat baulkd everyone and gets clearances Watson would be proud of.

That’s maybe 1 or 2 games out of 20.
If he could do it consistently and stop giving away frees in the ruck would be
A good piece in our puzzle.

Just watched the match. Play him as a full time big bodied midfielder.

He’d get slaughtered and we’d have a liability.

Slaughtered at what? He’s not quick of course but that wouldn’t be his job. I see an agile big man with good footskills, a lot of strength and good hands (not great). The way I see it it’s pretty evident he won’t make it as a ruckman and he doesn’t really have a weapon to make it as a forward (doesn’t have elite leap, hands or strength). Roll the dice and play him around the ground where he always seems to play his best footy (as a forward fish out of water working up the ground or a ruckman not contesting a tap).

Korn McShernan. Head on a stalk. He’s a spare tall of ambiguous description. Probably rucks better than Hooker. We don’t need to fit him into the midfield. He’s a guy you just want to see succeed because he looks like he’s going to do something and sometimes does. I think he’s played in the wrong role and has been all of his career. But, maybe the cart before the horse. Never got a chance to nail one role and that’s not rucking.

Play him as a big mid.

He’s a small / medium forward, in the body of a key position forward, who is trying to play ruck.

Same goes for Stewart.

He’s a forward or nothing

I think he’ll be delisted come years end but I hope not. He’s talented enough, it’s just hard to fit him in. He’s a almost player

Ruckman trapped in a forawards body.

I also get the impression he doesn’t like being pushed around or when he is smaller and acts out as a result of it.

One of those classic player who has every tool imaginable but no ability to use them effectively.

And he doesn’t lead at the footy, crash packs, take contested marks like he needs to as a fwd.

Seems to be more dangerous with ball on deck both in fwd line and around the ground.

Poor mans Josh Jenkins

Has all the tools just needs a hell of a lot more mongrel. I reckon if Harvs and Woosha had a quiet one or two with him talking about the old days, then maybe the penny might drop.

Should be a lot better.

IMO he just mentally checks out too often throughout games. I have seen him so many times jogging up the wing when his player is off getting the ball.

How many frees did he give away in the ruck, 5? Way too many.
  1. He gave away 2 free kicks. That’s a total of two.

He gave away 5 free kicks. It might have been 2 in the ruck, but it was a total of 5.
Source: the official match stats.

I feel a lot of the frees he gives away are bullshit ones.

Play him as a big mid.

He’s a small / medium forward, in the body of a key position forward, who is trying to play ruck.

So I think the solution is to play him as a HFF / mid who pinch hits in the ruck.

If he stays involved in the play and doesn’t have to ruck all the time, I think he will play better.

Taking the pressure off to be the main ruck or a key forward would be worth a go if we want to play him as the back up ruck and leave JD at CHF and Chook at FF. He can also rest on the bench more in that type of role rotating with other mid/forwards.

Now that Myers could go on the long term injury list he could be temporarily promoted and cover the back up ruck role while TBC hopefully gets fit and finds form .

Should be a lot better.

IMO he just mentally checks out too often throughout games. I have seen him so many times jogging up the wing when his player is off getting the ball.

This has always been his biggest criticism and even he has admitted in the past that he struggles with concentration

How many frees did he give away in the ruck, 5? Way too many.
  1. He gave away 2 free kicks. That’s a total of two.

He gave away 5 free kicks. It might have been 2 in the ruck, but it was a total of 5.
Source: the official match stats.

I feel a lot of the frees he gives away are bullshit ones.

you mean holding the other ruckman without looking at the ball because he feels hes outsized?

BRING HIM IN

Fwd/ruck spot for rd1 now just got interesting if Myers goes to LTI

Smack rising like the Phoenix from should have been delisted to potential vital player.

If he reigns in the silly frees and keeps hitting the scoreboard he could be very valuable to us. Keeps JD out of the ruck and we can play a 3 tall fwd line.

Myers is only 2 months though isn’t he?

Fwd/ruck spot for rd1 now just got interesting if Myers goes to LTI

Smack rising like the Phoenix from should have been delisted to potential vital player.

If he reigns in the silly frees and keeps hitting the scoreboard he could be very valuable to us. Keeps JD out of the ruck and we can play a 3 tall fwd line.

Liked his game against the Pies that’s the McKernan we want to see every game.

Myers is only 2 months though isn't he?

2 months = 8 weeks = LTI rookie upgrade, … if we want …

Myers is only 2 months though isn't he?

2 months = 8 weeks = LTI rookie upgrade, … if we want …

How does that all work again? Nah, should know by now. Keep thinking it doesn’t apply till the start of home and away season.