#45 Anthony “Munny” Munkara

Yes 10am Sunday at the Hanger vs Box Hill.

Great time to do the double, it will be a full strength VFL team too.

4 Likes

With so many players under injury cloud, wonder if will give some a half.

Did Guelfi/Langford/Snelling do enough last week or need some more touch

Will Caldwell / Heppell have a run

Will Jones play.

I think it is about teaching him what is required of him at the elite level than anything, and that comes with understanding how to continually building his fitness over his AFL journey, which will be hopefully 10+ years. I mean, look at what happened with Mozzie, he went back home to WA because he was not interested in the hard work required for rehabbing. I know he did his schooling in the Gippsland but that’s besides the point. I think this approach makes sense a lot.

I can say with first hand knowledge, Anthony is a very happy young man who has overcome a little homesickness.
He had an ingrown toe nail removed which sidelined him for a while but he’s slowly returning.
I’m backing this kid in ti play senior footy this year

50 Likes

Sack Murphy!

10 Likes

2 Likes

dont agree, simply because i rate darren burgess and let’s be honest, everyone does. this is what he had to say in 2021

“My biggest thing was to try and implement some physical resilience in the playing group,” Burgess said.

"There’s two ways to go about injury prevention, I think.

“If someone has niggles you give them a rest so they complete as many sessions as possible, cut the sessions short if someone’s a bit sore, or you can build them up and push them through those periods where they’re a little sore, a little bit tender and a little bit fatigued … to provide them with that robustness to get through.”

Burgess said he used to subscribe to the former theory before evolving to the latter in recent years

Nine men played in all 25 games, another four missed just one, and 16 played 20 games or more.

“Providing that physical resilience was about turning up, day after day, with training intensity at a super high level,” he said.

"It’s really tempting for medical, performance people to say ‘we train from November to March and then we play games. And in January when it’s a bit hot and someone rolled their ankle slightly, it’s tempting to say just have this session off, it’s just January, it doesn’t matter if you miss one session’. But it does.

“Those little habits build up and it matters massively.”

Blockquote

1 Like

I agree to a point, but I do I think it depends on the player and their level of experience/age/growth phase. I wouldn’t apply a blanket rule to all players on a list.

Young guys perhaps need a more gradual approach. Older, more experienced players that have been in the system for a while and have a few preseasons under their belt and finished growing certainly can be loaded up to a point.

There is certainly a lot to be said for just getting on with it.

Yes I’ve read these comments and they make sense for conditioned professional athletes.

I think a problem we have is a fair few of our blokes simply are not suitably conditioned to be able to become resilient enough to be part of a Burgess type program.

I actually see Brads comments on alcohol (impacting recovery and the capacity to train at a high level for long periods of time) as a step in rectifying some issues we obviously have around professionalism.

It’s a roller coaster of injury and deconditiong we seem to be on.

I could be wrong.

2 Likes

AN

OUNCE

Try and ramp athletes from 0 to 100 in one off season (or after a long injury) = bulk injuries

It’s working out how you get from 0 to 10 to…. …to 100, and over what length of time.

Full rest, or dipping a toe back in with some level of training.
What injuries are likely to be exacerbated with certain types of training loads.
Etc etc

Anyone who has a simple/clear/ one size fits all answer would be selling it to the Barcelonas & NYYs of this world, not on here.

2 Likes

I had an ingrown toenail removed when I was in my 20’s.

It was painful, but not much more painful than the ingrown toenail itself, and within days it felt better than it had in ages, and I wondered why I didn’t get it fixed sooner.

The doctor who removed my ingrown toenail said he did one for a martial artist once, and he competed in a tournament the next day.

I think that’s extreme, but it does get better very quickly.

As far as I can tell nobody is attempting to sell professional athlete conditioning methodologies on Blitz.

I agree with your post though.

They kinda went the slow path with tippa and it worked. I remember watching him in the vfl live a year before he was drafted and was shocked he wasn’t on a list yet with his elite kicking skills. Also a similar approach taking munny through the rookie list or whatever it’s called.

Unless something bad occurs during this week, Anthony will play a full VFL game next week.

37 Likes

simpsons-taxes

9 Likes

I don’t think people were upset over them taking a slow approach with Tippa, they were upset they were refusing to even list him. We ended up getting lucky that another club didn’t draft him before us.

4 Likes

In fully supportive of a graded bud up to AFL. But why did we not manage loads for Cox, Reid, Wanganeen, Jones. FFS we manage talent poorly.

I’m so itching to see this kid in some form of competitive outing. We haven’t really got a glimpse of that yet.

4 Likes

I got the sense that was driven by Rutten desperate for some wins and playing favourites.

2 Likes