#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

So has his foot been amputated yet?

1 Like

One guy who can take the game on with speed can create an overlap which can make your foot skills look amazing.

Having at least one of those guys is pretty important. Having 6 of them is pretty damn special (Conor, Saad, McGrath, Fanta, Tippa, Stringer).

I struggle to think of another side who could match that.

3 Likes

Certainly we look to be a side with a lot of pace. On paper we seemed designed to attack with speed off half back and wing. To Noonans point you still have to deliver with accuracy into the forward 50. When we did that this year we were capable of troubling anyone.

I am looking forward to seeing is how we defend and pressure with the opposition in possession.

1 Like

Agreed. I think a key component of our overall improvement next season will be how much more defensive pace we introduce to the midfield.

I expect McGrath to have a big impact on this regard but we’ll need more. Smith hopefully ticks that box too. I’ve never really seen stringer use his pace defensively but he’ll certainly be expected too.

Getting tippa and Fanta some more midfield minutes as part of a rotation with Smith and stringer would also be helpful.

Langford had displayed a willingness to tackle in the VFL that we haven’t seen from him in the seniors and he’s certainly more agile and mobile than hepp Myers or bj so hopefully we get more out him.

I also think Stewart is a bit of a midfield dark horse, particularly if hooker stays forward. I think we might look to push him higher and use him in the ruck more. He is genuinely quick and certainly willing to compete on the ground. Infact he’s a much better competitor on the ground than in the air.

10 Likes

Strongly agree @ivan

Will be really interesting to see if they leave some of the big bodied but slow on the spread guys out in order to keep speed out of the centre.

I agree that Conor is one of the players with most improvement in him - which we’ll see in 2018 (without the caveat at the end - I’d say it’s Francis).
I think we’ll see the biggest stepping up in 2018 from Conor, Fanta and McG - we’ll be scary good if that eventuates (let alone if Franga proves me wrong).

Flag

2 Likes

THIS

1 Like

THAT!!!

1 Like

Stewart taking the pinch hitting ruck role effectively would improve us forward even more. Perfect, structurally.

1 Like

Out of interest, has anyone seen Stewart in the Ruck at VFL or AFL level?

Was a disaster during pre-season to the point where he wasn’t used again in that capacity until the 2nd half of the Swans final - with similar results.

It’s why I’d rather play McKernan as the 3rd tall forward ahead of Stewart.

Considering Tigers are getting away with rucking Grigg and Melb used Pederson/Watts at times there really should be zero issue putting Stewart in ruck.

He’s 198cm IIRC and moves very well

1 Like

I would say there are zero circumstances in which McKernan plays in any team that has any fit rucks available.

Jimmy Stewart had five hit-outs total in 2017 (which is less than NLM averaged).

I think that says that he is not a ruckman, he’s a flanker, albeit a tall one.

PS. Should we shift the conversation here: #17 James Stewart - playing Moore finals than Collingwood

It’s just saying he was barely ever put into ruck contests, may have pinch hitted fwd on occasion of instances when JD was on bench.

Definitely isn’t a ruckman but in the modern game perfectly capable height and athleticism wise of playing 2nd ruck.

Woosh doesn’t want JD in ruck so someone is going to have to be doing it. Stewart the logical option.

Joe Dan is a much better ruck, and can still impact the scoreboard while he is on the ball. Stewart is the third tall, and will continue to develop in that role.

2 Likes

I’m not sure JD is that good at the actual ruck component but he certainly impacts while around the ball. I have nightmares about him getting injured in the ruck though.

I’m pretty keen to see how Stewart would handle it and what Joe would do with extra forward minutes. Nothing will ever stop us pushing Joe up the ground if he needs to get into it more

1 Like

His follow up is unbeleivable. I think Daniher’s ruck work is pretty good tho.