#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

zoAs9bo.png

Needs his official place in the DFH!

The 184-centimetre midfield prospect is blessed with elite speed and agility, and placed ninth in the 20-metre sprints, third in the agility test, and eighth in the repeat-sprint tests at this week's AFL draft combine.

In his first game of football, the quick and agile 182cm prospect kicked four goals and was almost best afield, sparking more interviews and attention from the travelling clubs on the tour.  

Despite the sanctions we had received, somehow we've lured this absolute pearler. Not sure what was said to convince him but I'm very pleased he's onboard. Generally I would say he's a long term prospect, but from what he showed in his game vs. AIS (Best U17's) in the land there is a lot to work with and he will hopefully come on a lot quicker than most kids his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIO3QneTcg

McKenna is the guy Blitz needs to stay in the VFL. I need to be outraged someone isn't getting a game, and I need to declare someone get fired for a wrong call of some sort.

Exactly. In 2016, Mc Kenna will be the forward line Messiah, kick 45 goals in his first season, and there will be accusations that his elevation was delayed for too long.

Hmmmm…anything to do with him having No.45 on his guernsey?

If so, maybe we could allocate him No.100 next year! :slight_smile:

I'd def upgrade McKernan, Steinberg and Aylett.

We need to give AFL games for Steiny. It’s now or never.

Save McKenna till next year. Long needs to be locked in the gym over pre-season with stacks of food. Not ready for AFL yet.

There’s no need to upgrade anyone until we play them.

McKernan immediately, and I’d be playing Steinberg before Gwilt from here on in when Fletch is not available.

Totally agree with this. Lets see if we have a young option to take over from Fletch, before going and recruiting for the role or keeping the older Gwilt.

Or could we play Gwilt forward and Steinberg back - Lets face it Ambrose needs to be replaced.

I like this idea and at least worth a try. I think he played forward for the saints a few times and kicked some goals.

We’ll get vanilla players like Laverde and The Langford before Conor. They remember the boring things like bouncing the ball every fifteen metres.

I was there. That was the highlight of the match… hilarious

Save McKenna till next year. Long needs to be locked in the gym over pre-season with stacks of food. Not ready for AFL yet.

McKernan immediately, and I’d be playing Steinberg before Gwilt from here on in when Fletch is not available.

Totally agree with this. Lets see if we have a young option to take over from Fletch, before going and recruiting for the role or keeping the older Gwilt.

Or could we play Gwilt forward and Steinberg back - Lets face it Ambrose needs to be replaced.

Yeah, probably needs a bit more cooking before he’s ready.

McKenna is the guy Blitz needs to stay in the VFL. I need to be outraged someone isn’t getting a game, and I need to declare someone get fired for a wrong call of some sort.

Exactly. In 2016, Mc Kenna will be the forward line Messiah, kick 45 goals in his first season, and there will be accusations that his elevation was delayed for too long.

Don’t forget about the folks who will want to trade him as soon as he has a game where he has low impact.

We’ll get vanilla players like Laverde and The Langford before Conor. They remember the boring things like bouncing the ball every fifteen metres.

Yep. although he is learning fast, even now hes doing crazy things like marking playing on and taking snaps across his body from 40 metres out.
In that case it was a good thing were were about 100 points up !

McKenna is the guy Blitz needs to stay in the VFL. I need to be outraged someone isn't getting a game, and I need to declare someone get fired for a wrong call of some sort.

Pretty sure you will still get people on blitz complaining that Tippa and Hardingham have not been upgraded yet :slight_smile:

some of them are even serious.

Pretty sure you will still get people on blitz complaining that Tippa and Hardingham have not been upgraded yet :slight_smile:

McKenna is the guy Blitz needs to stay in the VFL. I need to be outraged someone isn’t getting a game, and I need to declare someone get fired for a wrong call of some sort.

Aren't there two who can on the LTI. Belly, Colyer?

Smack and Edwards. Thank you.

Edwards isn’t a rookie so he doesn’t need to be elevated.

Aren’t there two who can on the LTI. Belly, Colyer?

Smack and Edwards. Thank you.

How long does it take to get the AFL to approve a long time injury, and authorise a rookie elevation? If its less than a week . OK no need to elevate any player until they are needed . Better not to upgrade the wrong player for the team needs. However, if it takes 3-4 weeks to do that process , well thats different. Might have to roll the dice.

Not sure on how long an LTI takes to confirm, but rookie elevations can pretty much be on the day of team selection if they want. I reckon at a pinch you could elevate someone on match day.

Surely not. Surely.

Yes, I called you that.

How long does it take to get the AFL to approve a long time injury, and authorise a rookie elevation?
If its less than a week . OK no need to elevate any player until they are needed . Better not to upgrade the wrong player for the team needs. However, if it takes 3-4 weeks to do that process , well thats different. Might have to roll the dice.

IMO. As to any potential elevation for Trav, who should be put on the LTI list surely, there are 3 possibilities But these need to be evaluated in terms of the needs of the team.

McKernan. No brainer. 100% Must be elevated.

Stein: We have plenty of medium sized defenders right now. No need for another, unless we want to play Stein instead of Gwilt, which is actually not a bad idea particularly if we cannot make the finals.

Aylett: Is useful at VFL level, but questionable at AFL level IMO. Hard to see if theres improvement possible.

McKenna. He is the sort of player we really really need up forward in the AFL, agility, sprint ability, goal sense, good aerial skills for his size. Not quite ready for AFL, but might be soon imo depending on how he performs in the 2s against better sides like Willi and Port over the next 2 weeks. If he performs well against those teams and kicks goals, its worth elevating him, he might be able to play a couple of games at the end of the year.
But its probably important not to play him before he is ready.

racist, booooooo

Sorry Benfti. Longy is not ready yet. I reckon Tippa is more ready, but he isnt even a Rookie

I’d like to try Stein up forward a bit too…he was recruited as a forward after all.