#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

speaking of pace, he doesn't look that fast to me, yet apparently he looks fast in the VFL. What's the go?

I agree with this actually. More than a few times yesterday when he either had the footy or was around the footy I was thinking, he’s super quick, he’ll put on the afterburners here and get into some space, but it just never really happened.

And we’ve all seen him previously take things on and really use his pace to his advantage. So he can do it. For some reason he just didn’t seem to shift gears yesterday.

I’d like to see us back him in for a handful of games in succession and give him the chance to get his mojo.

I think it’s mindset at the moment that could be his problem. I think the step up from the VFL to the AFL is overwhelming him, he’s getting caught out of position a lot, which leads to the “I must not make a mistake” mentality. Looks lost and bereft of confidence on an AFL field, yet looks confident and creative when he plays VFL.

He’s got an X-factor about him - no question.

I just noticed in the Walla show reel that Conner was at the beginning of the play that gave us our first goal

Keep ya feet in the contest and lay some tackles.

Still I feel he worked into the game with good run in the last quarter.

Who was his direct apponent/s and did they do any damage whilst Conor was on them. I couldn’t tell from the tv and the commentators didn’t seem to know who he was so weren’t much help.

We need quick. He is quick.

Biggest issue was losing his feet a couple of times, which is pretty costly in defense, but for a kid who has only been playing this game since 2014, he’s coming along nicely. If he finds a bit of mojo at senior level, he’ll be a huge asset at halfback and best of all (as we saw yesterday), his inclusion releases Tippa to wreak havoc in the forward line.

speaking of pace, he doesn't look that fast to me, yet apparently he looks fast in the VFL. What's the go?

I agree with this actually. More than a few times yesterday when he either had the footy or was around the footy I was thinking, he’s super quick, he’ll put on the afterburners here and get into some space, but it just never really happened.

And we’ve all seen him previously take things on and really use his pace to his advantage. So he can do it. For some reason he just didn’t seem to shift gears yesterday.

I’d like to see us back him in for a handful of games in succession and give him the chance to get his mojo.

the saints have a lot of very fast players like stevens is legit pace. when faced with that compared to whats offered in the VFL you should be quite overwhelmed. hopefully he settles next week and can give a better showing.

He is very quick and very powerful, he will be breaking tackles stringer style soon.

speaking of pace, he doesn’t look that fast to me, yet apparently he looks fast in the VFL. What’s the go?

Hasn’t quite found the pace of AFL yet, though yesterday was a step forward in that regard even though it still wasn’t what you’d call a good game. Got caught out defensively a few times which resulted in goals.

1 Like

Ivan, it doesn’t matter. It’s like the ruck contest (If you take possession and then get tackled it’s a free, even if you get rid of it). If you bounce and get tackled it’s a free, even if you shake the tackle and regain the ball.

Best thing this bloke could do to garner support from EFC fans is to grow his hair, or dye it pink, or do something that makes him stand out.

He’s ■■■■■■ hard to pick out most of the time.

Keep playing him. His footskills are worth some short-term / medium-term pain.

stay away Peeto, I'm warning you.

Needs his official place in the DFH!

The 184-centimetre midfield prospect is blessed with elite speed and agility, and placed ninth in the 20-metre sprints, third in the agility test, and eighth in the repeat-sprint tests at this week's AFL draft combine.

In his first game of football, the quick and agile 182cm prospect kicked four goals and was almost best afield, sparking more interviews and attention from the travelling clubs on the tour.  

Despite the sanctions we had received, somehow we've lured this absolute pearler. Not sure what was said to convince him but I'm very pleased his onboard. 

Generally I would say he's a long term prospect, but from what he showed in his game vs. AIS (Best U17's) in the land there is a lot to work with and he will hopefully come on a lot quicker than most kids his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIO3QneTcg

"KICKED A COUPLE OF GOOOOOLS"
i like him

I hope next year that people remember it took Hanley a few years to become a regular in the Lions side.

That said, I'm backing him for the Brownlow.

Wil be best 22 by round 1…

Mentioned in an interview with pig on the efc site. Hype train gaining momentum!

Taken today at pre-season training.

McKenna_1_Pre.png