#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

He was charged with serious misconduct in that he allegedly bit Western Bulldog’s player Tory Dickson.

After denying that he had bitten Dickson, Irish pleaded guilty after the prehearing (which was) held prior to the Tribunal sitting. What are these prehearings for? May I suggest to remind Irish that pleading guilty (even without footage of the incident) is looked favourably upon by the AFL Tribunal. He would never have won with a not guilty plea in the AFL Tribunal, so it simply came down to a decision between a lesser/higher penalty. I think that is pretty clear. It is naive to assume that a person wouldn’t plead guilty if they didn’t actually do what they were charged with (in the AFL - that is).

Indicating some sort of injury to his neck.

I must have missed that one. What exactly did he say to the bench? His statement to the Tribunal said ‘a quick nip on his neck, which (he) believed was from a bite’. Why the element of doubt? Did he simply feel something sharp scrap his neck, like an incisor tooth, or did he actually feel a bite? Too vague for mine.

Not to you, but it is to me. Should have received a fine for scratching his neck. Can’t see any evidence from the injury or Dickson’s flimsy, uncertain statement, that would make me believe that Irish had definitely bitten him. Anyway, the AFL Tribunal delivered the exact verdict the AFL were seeking. I don’t find this surprising in the slightest. #optics

5 Likes

Why would he plead guilty? Maybe because he’s a half decent bloke who realises he has made a terrible mistake. Everybody makes mistakes in their lives, me more than most and I respect the fact that Conor, out of the heat of battle, has basically told the truth and copped his whack.

2 Likes

The game, no, the world, is in a pretty grim place when this thug is put up as a moral arbiter.

4 Likes

Yes. Implies that the “wife” is someones property to root at will.

1 Like

Do you idolise Mike?

Next time we play the dogs Conor needs to write a reminder on his hand

DICKSON MOUTH NO

1 Like

Or just wear a mouthguard and remove all doubt. :wink:

2 Likes

I reckon he might be talking from experience/ rooting a team mate’s wife. Quality low level act in any footballers code of ethics.

he had to, as if they would have found him innocent he is an Essendon player …we have shiteful lawyers who give terrible advice …coped a plea to get the lesser weeks does not mean he actually did it …but now who cares he will forever be known as a biter & I saw no teeth marks !!!

1 Like

only if you actually tear off the flesh & eat it other wise it is no worse than half the things that go in in footy

pled guilty to get a lighter sentence they were always going to get him for it just because you know …optics it looked bad

3 Likes

My issue was that he said publicly beforehand that he didn’t do it.

In this case he would have been better off not saying anything.

1 Like

He pleaded guilty so he didn’t get the maximum sentence. I know it doesn’t make sense, but if he pleaded not guilty to MISCONDUCT he would have gotten four weeks.

2 Likes

all of the above …I agree with you

2 Likes

so when someones head clashes ith someone else’s mouth and breaks the skin they should both be banned 1 month, right AFL?

1 Like

I think you will find that he was ‘convinced’ in the prehearing to plead that way.

3 Likes

So do we think has had sufficient time to digest the gravity of his actions? Surely it’d still be leaving a bitter taste in his mouth?

I don’t have a problem with what he pleases.

I have a problem with him speaking before the hearing.

It now looks like he is unreliable

The thing that disturbs me most about this incident, is that he chooses to not wear a mouthguard!

Why? Given the high impact game of AFL, why would you choose to not protect your mouth and teeth from injury?

7 Likes

another example of poor decision making amongst the list

And yes I agree, he should. They all should.

2 Likes