#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

That goal he kicked Saturday was very ELITE. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

he pulled it too, could’ve easily sent it through post high.

1 Like

Here’s another champion data chart. The white columns are:

Age / Games in 2018 / Average ranking pts in 2018 / performance relative to expectation based on Age & Position for players 25 and under / rank within AFL

(Grundy is #1, on +88%)

2 Likes

tl;dr: conor elite.

1 Like

Conor…sick balls!

He should probably see a doctor about that.

2 Likes

and that spoil was too!

1 Like

Who’d have thought the kid we got over from Ireland would be this good? And not just being good at providing run and rebound, but his defensive capabilities? He rarely gets beaten 1 v 1. He’s a strongly built guy, very powerful through the core. I’m loving the long goals he is kicking bombing on from the HB line. He’s a neat kick short but he really is damaging when he sinks the slipper into it.

13 Likes

Blokes taking a bounce as soon as they set off really annoys me, run you measure and make ground on your opponent before bouncing.

This. How many times have we seen him either kill a contest or neutralise it? He’s become a very dependable player in a short amount of time.

7 Likes

We need another Irish draftee like Conor.

He can mentor him, and communicate in his own language and stuff.

1 Like

don’t think you got the memo, hes a bog average biter.

The goal he kicked was a ripper but the best thing on the weekend was that mark he took from the high floating switch kick. 2 on 1 if he dropped it that would have led to a goal.

7 Likes

Yes that is fine.

If they were playing for Hawthorn or a few other clubs.

But he plays for us and has been burnt a couple of times by the maggots for not bouncing within 8m. So he bounces too many times to make sure the maggots can’t penalise him unfairly.

Just imagine how much more elite he could be if he didn’t have to bounce so many unnecessary times, and if he was allowed to run fast!

Maybe it all goes back to his footballing childhood…when he ran too far and ended up giving away three free kicks in a row!

I agree with the bolded part but not the preceding bit. For example if you are on a run and it looks like you are going to have to dodge/baulk an opposition player at around step 14, then you may be better off bouncing at step 8 thus allowing you to be going at full pace at around the point of ‘trouble’ instead of having to bounce and slow down near the ‘trouble’

4 Likes

I had forgotten that Conor is only 21 years old, still a kid! Glad to have him for other 4 years.

3 Likes

Some saw it coming…still a fantastic line, after he kicked 3 goals in a typical miserable loss at Williamstown in his first year:

15 Likes

I will take advice from an expert like @percebushby on this, but I would have preferred if the analogy was with uisce beatha.

Bushmill’s Single Malt. Ardaím mo ghloine dhó.