#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

What is your problem with Conor?

Get over the incident with Dickson, and be proud of what this guy has achieved.

4 Likes

Djr is the king of an old yaco style good call by me

2 Likes

Well one free kick and 2 50m penalties…

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/video-conor-mckenna-gives-away-two-50m-penalties-in-essendonst-kilda-nab-challenge-in-morwell/news-story/be85c62e56843eb263334fe9dd4b8ba1

I wish I could find the video. It was virtually the first thing he did in the first match he played in the senior team in the NAB challenge

2 Likes

Get him in the guts

5 Likes

Ultimately, this is where he will star for us. So strong and fast and reads the play well. would love to see him move into the middle over the next few years.

1 Like

Ho Ho Ho, I remember at the time all the commentators were laughing at this footy ignoramus from Ireland. Who is laughing now ?
We have plenty of half backs. Conor is destined for the midfield

1 Like

Undoubtedly my favourite player. Has real ■■■■ in him. Upside is enormous

1 Like

Think I will wait until he achieves something.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

He’s achieved moving half a World away from his home, learning a whole new fkn game and becoming a best 22 LOCK, week in, week out, in an AFL team not short on talent, at the very least .

Ffs!

16 Likes

Meh

Have any of the Irish guys made that transition. Personally I think he looks a little lost still when bodies are flying all over the place and people are fighting for it on the deck.

At half back the play finds him. I’m not convinced he’d naturally draw the ball further up the ground.

Regardless, he’s a super talent who is going to keep getting better. There was a moment on Saturday where Saad broke a line and started to draw a man. Conor put the hammer down and converged from the other side of the square. Unfortunately the ump intercepted the offload.

Conor’s goal later in the game came about from running a support run through the corridor for Saad as Saad broke a line on the wing.

Conor and Saad are only just beginning to develop an understanding offensively. They’re going to develop into a devastating combination over the coming months/years. Let’s enjoy it.

16 Likes

What do you mean by this? Achieved what? A Brownlow, a Coleman, AA, Norm Smith? Jock McHale coaches award?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s regarded as our best player in 2 years time.

2 Likes

That would be a start plus two premierships as captain.

2 Likes

Sits 8th in the list of Irish AFL players ordered by games played; not bad, considering the number of Irish players who have tried out for AFL,

1 Jim Stynes 264
2 Tadhg Kennelly 197
3 Sean Wright 150
4 Zac Tuouy 145
5 Pearce Hanley 142
6 Setanta ohailipin 88
7 Martin Clarke 73
8 Conor McKenna 33

1 Like

Gee I’d forgotten Setenta (and his brother.)
Compelling argument to cap the Irish quota at one per club, or training could get very messy.

All things going well, He and 2E should make top 3 with Stynesey.

1 Like

That is true. But for many it’s instinct to just play on and bounce immediately.

I take a bounce once I feel I’m at top pace.
Easier to maintain speed whilst bouncing rather than trying to accelerate whilst bouncing.
Early/frequent bounces give you more decision making time as well.

1 Like

I’d say he has achieved a lot more than you have. And he’s probably being on this planet a third of the time you have.

Moved to the other side of the world as a teenager. Learnt a whole new sport and is thriving in it at the most elite level only 3 years after starting. He has gotten the acknowledgement and recognition as one of the better half backs in the game today.

To me he has achieved a helluva lot.

12 Likes