#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

Just let him run with an opposition player the old fashioned way.

McKenna’s form has been under-stated this year - He’s achieved a rock level of consistency with few highs or lows - He’s improved heaps in 2018.

6 Likes

i might be taking crazy pills, but i’m not sure why we don’t go for this tactic more.

options:
if you’re close to line and you rush it, you’ll be pinged
bomb it back in to the center, picked off by the oppositions zone.
roost it 50m down the line out on the full, or in to the top deck. sure, you turn it over, but you buy time to set-up again.

yep, i’ve lost it.

2 Likes

No, you haven’t. Teams are doing exactly either that, or risking “Deliberate” as a regimented tactical play to get, as you say, … time to set up defensively.

Noticed it come in to vogue more and more as this seasons gone on.

3 Likes

It’s a version of Melbourne Storm tctics when they are under the pump defensively. They give away a penalty to allow them time to set up again.

2 Likes

Professional frees have been around for many years. Its not always obvious to the fans

For sure. I reckon it is more a team directive for certain situations now whereas it was most likely spur of the moment previously. Just my uneducated guess anyway.

So that’s why JD kicked so many OOF - he was just giving our blokes a chance to set up defensively.

11 Likes

Driving north to south in Ireland today and took a little detour through Benburb! No McKennas to be seen, pub closed & coffee shop closed… no Irish luck today! Beautiful countryside - hedged fields of green everywhere- can imagine the Oirish lads miss that. !
Hope Conor can weave some Irish magic against the Weagles

14 Likes

How good was this guy tonight. Had to giggle when commentators said when he got caught holding the ball on the wing that he sometimes gets caught biting off more than he can chew. Too soon?? Love his run and his solos

10 Likes

He is totally gonna kick GotY one day after kicking to himself a few times

Adding some galic tricks to his footy love it.

unselfish play when he could have gone himself but he kicked to conor mckenna

12 Likes

Love that he and saad clicked tonight

Good luck stopping us once McGrath and these two are fit and working together

Gee we are a quick side very hard to stop also what I’ve noticed in the last month is we added toughness and willingness to tackle and apply pressure when we don’t have the ball

1 Like

Loved his game tonight- wove a bit of Oirish magic in the last :joy:

1 Like

i love him but geezus he does some nutty things. Put your fist up when you are the bloke at the front of the pack. He dropped his arms and let them mark.

Drives me nuts.

Love the run and carry and tackling though

Whale oil beef hooked.

1 Like

How funny was the deliberate call where the blonde umpire looked back at Connor before emphatically paying it as if it matters where Connor was standing? Or was he just taking a mental picture for his wank bank?

Totally irrelevant that he was tackled hard as he kicked.

1 Like