#45 Conor McKenna - the first six years

I love how the skillful players are emulating each other. Conors doing bandpasses like parish and McGrath. Zach pinched conor chip kicks.

1 Like

It’s not just his run-and-bounce and passing but his ability to win the loose ball on the wing and HBF that I love. He nearly always beats his opponents in that situation, even when it’s 1 vs. 2.

That play in the last on back flank was awesome beat his man and took it away in a flash.
He must of eased up on the Guinness as he looked in the best condition of his career. Can’t believe he’s only 22!

2 Likes

The massive hip and shoulder on Franklin early set the tone.

25 Likes

So awesome when the opposition actually manages to corral one of our speedsters, another just zips past for the handball receive. Beautiful to watch.

7 Likes

HOW GOOD ARE HIS HANDS?

I thought him getting up to speed for the midfield was a pipe dream. But I’m starting to believe.

1 Like

loves the biff.

still remember him booking it across the field to punch a guy who shoved him.

1 Like

Best hip and shoulder in red’n’black since Walla broke Dangerfield in a pre-season game

He did very little handball originally but he seems to now have incorporated lightning quick handballs - left and right handed - into his game. the one he gave to Stringer for that goal on Q3 - with his left was a gem. Stringer didn’t have to break stride.

It’s part of his development as a player - still plenty of development to go - but he is perhaps the only player on our list (Francis the other) that has the style & ability to play as a burst midfielder in the Tim Watson/Dangerfield mould.

2 Likes

One thing about Conor is that he is very easily developed. We have seen it multiple times were he seems to acquire new skills in a matter of weeks.

Still not the complete version of himself yet.

1 Like

Only wish it had been delivered by Hooksey, … prikk wouldn’t have gotten up.

Which gives a huge lie to the “only draft footballers, not athletes” trope.

2 Likes

I’d imagine most actually working within the AFL would trot out that it’s easier to teach an athlete to play football than visa versa.
Reckons it’s just old blokes who grew up with the 70s/80s (and haven’t moved on) that think teams should just draft pure footballers.

F=MA

Hooker has Mass

Walla has Acceleration

I wouldn’t wanna get hit by either

1 Like

The key is how easily are they developed. Blivcas and Mason Cox prove you can teach athletes too.

Even looking at our own players. I’d say Merret is more of a natural footballer than Langford. The attribute they have in common is they have been able to be developed, admittedly through a lot of effort on their respective parts.

Must be a key part of recruiting, identifying players that can be developed, especially given they are often naturally gifted and best in class their whole lives.

2 Likes

Agreed, … but I was talking about the one on Farklin.

Conor did well, . but Cale would have smashed his breastbone in half, … and he owes him.

2 Likes

I don’t care who hits him as long as someone does

2 Likes

It’s why they interview teachers, parents, school principals, juniors coaches - not just from TAC, but the local club they were originally from etc.

Disco cops a bit of grief for overvaluing character, but in the long run, it often pays off.

2 Likes

Strictly speaking, the relevant formula is e=mv^2

In which case, given weights of 101 and 79 kilograms, TIPPA needs to hit 13% faster to equal Hooker. Actually, in terms of hurt as opposed to just displacement, it’s probably less that that as he intrinsically strikes with a smaller contact point.

Obviously, the Conor example indicates technique matters. I remember Long putting Plugger on his bum with a clean bump to the front, the shock on Lockett’s face was hilarious.

2 Likes